Senior Scientific Director, Portfolio Leader
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C. develops treatments that improve the health and lifestyles of people worldwide. R&D is focuses on five Therapeutic Areas which include Immunology, Oncology, Neuroscience, Cardiovascular & Metabolism and Infectious Diseases & Vaccines.
Janssen BioTherapeutics (JBIO) are leaders in the discovery and development of monoclonal and Multispecific antibody technology, alternative scaffolds, peptides, and convergent products that transform and improve patients' lives. With more than 300 employees in Spring House, La Jolla and Beerse, we are "One Team" working together to apply our biotechnology expertise to a broad range of projects across Johnson & Johnson. The teams are focused and committed to developing therapeutic modalities for all five of our Therapeutic Area partners.
This is a strategic position within Janssen BioTherapeutics. The Senior Scientific Director, Portfolio Leader, Janssen Biotherapeutics (JBIO) will be responsible for developing productivity goals in alignment with JBIO Senior Leadership team (SLT), the Therapeutic areas, and JBIO Project Team Leaders (JBTLs). As a member of the JBIO SLT, this individual will lead a key scientific forum to routinely review portfolio projects and ensure high standards of scientific rigor for all projects, as well as, a forum for the JBTLs to leverage learning and best practices.
This person will ensure that project leads have completed essential reports and the quality of data in reports reflect scientific rigor. This person will also need to facilitate resolution of resource and/or portfolio alignment issues. The successful individual must establish excellent lines of communication and build trusting relationships with key stakeholders. This individual will partner with Portfolio Execution group to ensure quality process maps and alignment with portfolio priorities.
Success in this role is defined by 1) Establishment of effective working relationships and communication lines within JBIO SLT, Therapeutic Areas (TAs), Discovery Heads & points of contact with various scientific stakeholders 2) Portfolio execution and 3) Establishment of robust portfolio views and reporting on portfolio progress.
- Establish and drive implementation of scientific strategies for internally developed larger/more complex program/team(s) that align with the J&J and overall R&D vision and scientific objectives and cultivates the development of innovative solutions.
- Engage key stakeholders (TAs, JBIO SLT, Portfolio Execution, and scientific stakeholders) to ensure key requirements are to execute on portfolio priorities.
- Play a key role along with JBIO SLT in delivery of preclinical pipeline objectives.
- Actively contribute and represent JBIO as a member in DPC, a cross functional portfolio governance forum.
- Proactively identify process improvement opportunities in the portfolio execution and implement changes through the community of practice forum.
- Manage key Scientific forum to ensure projects are reviewed in a timely manner.
- Capture actions, decisions, feedback from the Scientific forum. Distribute to key individuals and ensure follow through on action items.
- Consolidate and manage monthly progress report on the portfolio to key stakeholders.
- Facilitate meetings with key stakeholders to address portfolio issues.
- Act as a scientific mentor across therapeutic areas or functions and for Individuals.
- Identify and develop innovative solutions to high impact, complex and broad-based scientific/technical issues within a business unit, with potential impact on other business units.
- Negotiate and solicit acceptance of new ideas, approaches, concepts through scientific leadership influence across disciplines with senior leaders and external colleagues/partners to drive and align strategic and operational scientific activities across regions, therapeutic/functional areas.
- Proven track record in leading complex scientific team(s) and direct and/or indirect people management experience
- Maintain a leadership position in a scientific discipline(s) and is recognized within the company and the outside scientific community through publication in peer-reviewed journals; significant presentations; involvement in scientific/professional associations; initiating and maintaining collaborative efforts with academia; refereeing scientific papers or serving in an editorial capacity for journals and books; hosting visiting outside scientists; serving as a consultant to government institutes; developing broad scientific contacts
- May build intellectual property/novel approaches
Fore more information, please visit: J&J Careers