Senior Scientist - Cheung Lab
Senior Scientist - Cheung Lab
Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundament questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students and science-curious individuals around the world.
Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
We currently have an opening for a Senior Scientist to join the laboratory of Dr. Vivian Cheung at the University of Michigan. Dr. Cheung’s laboratory studies basic mechanisms in RNA biology and RNA defects in neurologic diseases, and is particularly interested in the regulatory roles of RNA structure and sequence. They bring these results to improve mechanistic understanding of motor neuron diseases.
This role will be responsible for designing and carrying out experimental and analytical work, as well as ensuring seamless operation of the lab through meticulous lab management. This role will provide the opportunity for growth and independent research – so it is ideal for someone with deep interests in mechanistic aspects of RNA biology, and the wish to spend the majority of their time on research.
We are open to providing relocation assistance to candidates outside of the Ann Arbor, MI area. Please be sure to include a cover letter in your application.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Research Management: 80%. Support the collaborative research environment and provide guidance on technical and operational aspects of research proposals. Based on qualifications and experience, the candidate will work in conjunction with the Principal Investigator on the coordination of research projects in the laboratory.
- Advise on technical procedures, techniques and equipment, and maintain conformance with specific operational standards.
- Plan and conduct experiments including protein and nucleic acid analysis, DNA and RNA sequencing, cell culture, and data analysis.
- Develop new protocols and carry out research projects.
Lab Operations: 10%. Oversee and/or implement all policies governing the operation of the laboratory. The candidate will be responsible for laboratory safety, protocols, equipment purchasing and maintenance procedures, monitoring of laboratory inventory, maintenance of laboratory server documents, orientation of new laboratory staff, and tracking laboratory spending in order to develop cost saving practices.
Along with other duties as assigned by the Principle Investigator, the candidate will serve as the senior member of the lab, acting as a resource for both students and staff for a variety of issues.
Financial Management: 10%. Assist in the determination of fiscal requirements and in the preparation of budgetary recommendations. Compile and prepare reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends, and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- PhD or MD or commensurate work experience required
- At least 5 years of experience working in a molecular biology laboratory and familiarity with bioinformatics
- Background in molecular biology, with experience working on high-throughput sequencing, human cell culture, and yeast cultures
- Prior experience working with human genetics and bioinformatics
- A strong desire to mentor and teach students of all levels
- Ability to work independently with strong communication skills