Research associates / Senior research associates
Research Associates/Senior Research Associates
To fulfil its mission, QBRI is seeking full-time research associates/senior research associates to work under the guidance of Dr Paul J Thornalley studying the role of methylglyoxal, glyoxalase 1 and its transcriptional regulation, and other metabolic dysfunction, in obesity and diabetes - including in collaboration with other groups within the institute and beyond. Experience and expertise is sought in the following areas: cellular and molecular biology/integrative physiology, molecular and cellular proteomics, and systems biology (3 posts). The research focuses on advanced understanding of mechanisms underlying cell dysfunction in obesity and diabetes – particularly associated with the development of insulin resistance and vascular complications of diabetes, validation of related diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers in clinical translation and development of glyoxalase 1 inducer therapeutics.
- To perform research in a multi-disciplinary, multi-skilled environment supporting cellular and molecular biology, proteomics, focused-metabolomics and systems biology studies.
- To maintain good laboratory records, prepare standard operating procedures, interim reports, assist in the instruction of supporting research staff and preparation of manuscripts, and participate in the presentation and promotion of research findings.
- To liaise with colleagues and collaborators for sample preparation and analysis, data extraction, systems modelling and reporting of outcomes.
- To undertake literature searches and ensure the research program is kept current of new developments in the field.
- To attend and contribute to regular research team meetings.
- To demonstrate a commitment to personal continuing professional development.
- To ensure compliance with health and safety in all aspects of work.
- A minimum of a PhD degree (or equivalent) in biochemistry, cellular and molecular biology, systems biology, proteomics, metabolomics, systems biology or related subject (pharmacology, biomedical science, bioinformatics, mathematical biology) appropriate for the post.
- Demonstrated background knowledge, expertise and experience appropriate for the post.
- An excellent record of success in the area(s) of previous research including publications (or papers in press) in peer reviewed journals.
- Strong communication skills in English (both written and verbal) and excellent interpersonal skills are essential.
- Interest and experience in metabolic dysfunction associated with obesity, diabetes and diabetic vascular complications is as advantage
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets and medical insurance.
Hamad Bin Khalifa University is an equal opportunity educator and employer. We are committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.