Assistant Professor in Endovascular Technique Development
Assistant Professor in Endovascular Technique Development
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Clinical Neuroscience
The Department of Clinical Neuroscience (CNS) conducts research and education in the field of neuroscience from the molecular level to the society level. The clinical research and education is conducted in collaboration with other research groups from the Karolinska Institutet, with other universities as well as the Stockholm County Council.
Please visit our website for more information: ki.se/en/cns
MedTechLabs is a center of excellence organized by Region Stockholm, Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) and Karolinska Institutet (KI). MedTechLabs focus on advanced research in medical technology and bioengineering. It is located at the BioClinicum building of the Karolinska University Hospital and the KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm where world class new research facilities will enable translational studies and clinical trials with comparisons to leading state-of-the-art technology. Researchers from KI and KTH will work there together to develop technology and methods that can be implemented into health care, specifically in the fields of oncology and cardiovascular diseases including stroke. This advertisement is one of four positions for the current research program within MedTechLabs (medtechlabs.se).
The position will be affiliated to the Holmin research group that works with endovascular technique development and molecular imaging for different applications and organ systems, as well as with stroke research. Through the Karolinska Experimental Research and Imaging Center (KERIC), BioClinicum at the Karolinska University Hospital and labs at the KTH Royal Institute of Technology, we have access to new world class unique infrastructure for developing new endovascular techniques and applications and for studying the efficacy and safety of such techniques in a translational setting and later in clinical trials. We use both endovascular intervention, MRI, PET, SPECT, CT, molecular biology methodology and bioinformatics methods in the analyses.
Duties/personal qualifications of applicants
The department of clinical neuroscience at Karolinska Institutet invites applications from outstanding candidates with a strong post-doc background for starting new projects within the field of medical imaging with a focus on endovascular technique/applications development. We are interested in individuals that are creative, highly motivated and that aim to establish world leading research with a clear technological focus incorporating potential clinical value and patient outcomes. You are expected to work in close collaboration with engineers at the KTH Royal Institute of Technology. Previous innovative work in the field of endovascular technique/applications development and imaging is a merit. The position is foremost intended as the start of an independent career and the position comes with start-up package, including a fully financed PhD student. In addition, the funding climate in Sweden for promising researchers is currently very favorable and a person with a good track-record will have the possibility to attract considerable funding. A successful applicant will preferably start working during the spring 2019 but the exact timing and details of the position is open for discussion and will depend on the applicant.
This employment as assistant professor is limited to 5 years with a possibility for tenure track. The employment is focused on research.
Those eligible for employment as an Assistant Professor are individuals who have been awarded a PhD or attained equivalent research competence. Preference should be given to those who were awarded a PhD or attained equivalent research competence no more than five years prior to the expiry of the application period for the position of assistant professor.
Those who have been awarded a PhD or attained equivalent research competence earlier may however be considered if special grounds exist. Special grounds refer to illness or parental leave.
Bases of assessment
Scientific expertise will be most important when assessing applicants.
An application must contain the following documents in Swedish/ English: curriculum vitae, qualifications and description of planned research, presented in accordance with Karolinska Institutet’s qualifications portfolio (http://ki.se/qualificationsportfolio).
The application is to be submitted through the Varbi recruitment system
Promotion of Assistant Professor to Senior Lecturer
See the instructions regarding the Appointment Procedure for Teachers at Karolinska Institutet chapter 3.3
An Assistant Professor can apply for promotion to Senior Lecturer. An application is submitted to the Recruitment Committee. In order to be promoted to Senior Lecturer after an assessment by the Recruitment Committee, the applicant must meet the criteria below. The Assistant Professor can choose between two different promotion tracks; promotion to Senior Lecturer with focus on Research or promotion to Senior Lecturer with focus on Education and research.
Promotion of Assistant Professor to Senior Lecturer with focus on Research
- Senior Lecturer expertise according to the eligibility requirements and assessment criteria for “Senior lecturer with focus on research”.
- Grants obtained as principal applicant in national or international competition that covers the applicant’s own salary for at least two years from the final date of employment as an Assistant Professor. Project funding obtained in national or international competition (i.e. excellence grants obtained from the Swedish Research Council, European Research Council (ERC), Wallenberg Foundation (WAF) or Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research (SSF) that covers costs for salaries, rent, materials and other project-related expenses for the research for at least two years from the final date of employment as an Assistant Professor.
- First and/or senior author of a number of peer-reviewed scientific articles published in leading international scientific journals over a number of years after dissertation, with the emphasis on the qualification period as an Assistant Professor.
- An independent research line deemed by independent experts and departmental management to offer excellent future potential for both the individual researcher and the department in question.
- A documented good ability to lead the own research group – including staff responsibility and supervision of doctoral and/or postdoctoral students. Scientific expertise is emphasized when assessing applicants including successful scientific results in a good working climate, as well as documented collaborative abilities.
- All experience of undertaking assignments on behalf of the scientific community – such as board membership, internal assessment committees, departmental duties, organising courses and conferences and editorships – will be considered as merits.
Promotion of Assistant Professor to Senior Lecturer with focus on Education and research
- Senior Lecturer expertise according to the eligibility requirements and assessment criteria for “Senior Lecturer with focus on Education and research”.
- Higher education training of 10 weeks or equivalent competence in accordance with the Association of Swedish Higher Education Institutions (SUHF).
- Independent responsibility for planning, implementation and evaluation of teaching and examination at all levels, first (basic undergraduate), second (advanced undergraduate) and third (graduate) -cycle study programmes and courses – to a significant extent and over a period of at least three years with documented high level of quality.
- Pedagogical management assignments as course director at first (basic undergraduate), second (advanced undergraduate) and third (graduate) cycle level.
- Extensive pedagogical experience of various forms of teaching and for various groups at first (basic undergraduate), second (advanced undergraduate) and third (graduate) cycle levels.
- Completed, nationally and internationally presented pedagogical development work resulting in improved study programmes and/or courses.
- A clear plan for the own pedagogical activities (including pedagogical development work) that demonstrates a high level of quality and great potential.
If the applicant is deemed to fulfil all of the above criteria, they will be assessed by two experts in their field and must meet the eligibility requirements that apply to appointments as a Senior Lecturer at Karolinska Institutet.
Karolinska Institutet is one of the world’s leading medical universities. Its vision is to significantly contribute to the improvement of human health. Karolinska Institutet accounts for the single largest share of all academic medical research conducted in Sweden and offers the country’s broadest range of education in medicine and health sciences. The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet selects the Nobel laureates in Physiology or Medicine.
Pursuant to the regulations of the Swedish National Archives, applications are kept on file for two years after the appointment has gained legal force. The regulations do not apply to attachments that have been printed or otherwise published.
Karolinska Institutet strives to provide a workplace that has approximately the same number of women and men, is free of discrimination and offers equal opportunity to everyone.
For temp agencies and recruiters, and to salespersons: We politely, yet firmly, decline direct contact with temp agencies and recruiters, as well as those selling additional job announcements.
Type of employment Temporary position longer than 6 months Contract type Full time First day of employment Spring 2019 or in agreement with the applicant Number of positions 1 Working hours 100% City Stockholm County Stockholms län Country Sweden Reference number 2-242/2019 Contact
- Elin Hammergård, Personaladministratör, 08-524 832 82
- Staffan Holmin, Forskargruppsledare, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arsalan Amir, SACO, 08 - 517 733 37, email@example.com
- Henry Wölling, SEKO, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Venus Azhary, OFR, 0707-124 127
Published 17.Jan.2019 Last application date 17.Mar.2019 11:59 PM CET