A position is available in the Sculpting Regeneration Laboratory (http://sculptingregeneration.org) for a highly motivated postdoctoral fellow to work in a multidisciplinary research environment, which has been funded by NIH. The postdoctoral fellow will develop novel regenerative therapeutics by interfacing stem cell biology with cutting-edge physical and digital approaches to biomaterial design, including droplet microfluidics and additive manufacturing. The lab is leveraging these approaches to design stem cell and organoid products ex vivo, to control stem cell delivery in vivo, and to target stem cells in situ. These goals are directed towards achieving regeneration of damaged lung, vascular and blood systems by modulating mesenchymal stem/stromal cells (MSCs). To modulate MSCs for these purposes, our studies are designed to quantitatively understand how MSCs use biophysical cues encoded in materials to communicate with neighboring cells by elaborating biological mediators across different scales, including secreted proteins, extracellular vesicles, and cellular projections. To facilitate these studies, we are employing diverse approaches in physical biology, including micropipetting, traction force microscopy and atomic force microscopy.
The Principal Investigator will help the applicant develop his/her career by providing a dynamic and collaborative research environment. The PI will encourage the preparation of research papers, application of fellowships, and presentation at national/international meetings.
The laboratory is primarily housed in the Department of Pharmacology at the College of Medicine (http://mcph.uic.edu). The Department has a dynamic group of junior and senior faculty, research faculty, postdoctoral fellows and PhD students. The department's strengths are in the broad areas of cell signaling, cardiovascular and lung biology, stem cells and regenerative medicine, and drug discovery. The Department leads the field in funding and is home to a world-class graduate pharmacology program. We are ranked top 10 in NIH research funding in the field of Pharmacology. In 2018, we were ranked in the top 11 in the United States based on QS World University Rankings by Subject in Pharmacy and Pharmacology.
The postdoctoral fellow is expected to develop and learn to utilize various techniques in both biological (e.g. animal studies, molecular biology) and physical sciences (e.g. atomic force microscopy, micropipetting, biomaterial design, and microfabrication). To facilitate this effort, the fellow will have an access to various state-of-the-art facilities in the University of Illinois at Chicago campus (http://www.rrc.uic.edu), and other major institutions in the Chicago area through the Chicago Biomedical Consortium (http://www.chicagobiomedicalconsortium.org).
1) Candidates must have a Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. degree.
2) Expertise in the following areas:
- In vivo animal studies (rodents): e.g. breeding, transplantation, survival surgery, and in vivo imaging. Expertise in lung biology and physiology would be highly desirable.
- At least one of the followings:
- Polymer chemistry to design hydrogels
- Advanced manufacturing of materials and tissues: e.g. droplet microfluidics, printing
- Fabrication at micro- and nanoscales: e.g. micropatterning
- Biophysical measurement at micro- and nanoscales: e.g. micropipetting, atomic force microscopy
- Cell biology and engineering: e.g. primary cell isolation, FACS, 3D cell culture, cell surface engineering, confocal, super-resolution microscopy
- Molecular biology and engineering: e.g. DNA cloning, CRISPR
3) Minimum of two first-author primary research articles in international journals.
4) Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
Interested applicants who meet all the criteria above should send a PDF file which includes a cover letter stating career goals, CV, and contact information (including email addresses and phone numbers) for three references to Jae-Won Shin, Ph.D. Email to: email@example.com
Apply for Postdoctoral Fellow
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly