Head of Research
The Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization-International Vaccine Centre (VIDO-InterVac) is a world leader in mitigating human and animal infectious diseases through research and development. The organization is home to some of the world’s most advanced vaccine research facilities including one of the largest biocontainment level 3Ag facilities. The University of Saskatchewan centre, is situated on Canada’s largest One-Health Campus in Saskatoon, Canada. The organization’s more than 150 staff members come from over 25 countries and are dedicated to the investigation of infectious diseases and the development of effective disease mitigation strategies. In its > 40 year history, VIDO-InterVac has developed several world’s first vaccines, adjuvants and delivery technologies which have been successfully licensed and commercialized by industry. VIDO-InterVac’s collaborative culture enables swift responses to the challenges that infectious diseases pose to humans and animals. Visit www.vido.org for more information.
The Associate Director of Research leads the research function for VIDO-InterVac and is responsible, along with the Director and Senior Management, for the strategic development and provision of research management to the organization. As member of the Senior Management team, the Associate Director of Research plays a key role in identifying and developing strategic research priorities and funding opportunities, developing and maintaining partnerships with key stakeholders, and ensuring research has commercial potential. The Associate Director of Research provides mentorship to individual scientists, facilitates teamwork and collaboration amongst the various project teams, and ensures effective communication at all levels of the organization. The Associate Director of Research chairs Science Management, which is comprised of five program leaders and the chair.
- Provides strategic leadership and stewardship for VIDO-InterVac’s research activities. Drives the strategic planning and the development of operational frameworks for research projects in close consultation with Senior and Science Management and the Board of Directors.
- Explores opportunities and establishes partnerships with key stakeholders including industry, academia and government to secure funding, foster research, and promote VIDO-InterVac as a global leading research institution.
- Reviews and adjusts ongoing research activities in consultation with Science and Senior Management. Ensures processes and resources are in place to support the achievement of research programs goals. Conducts assessments of key research initiatives and reports. Develops and coordinates internal and external scientific reviews. Develops policies and procedures covering day-to-day operations of VIDO-InterVac’s research activities. Reviews publications and research results for patentability.
- Participates as a member of the VIDO-InterVac Senior Management team. Prepares complex research related funding proposals and other planning submissions and proposals. Routinely addresses internal and external complexities impeding the delivery of service. Coordinates complex research related and other resources in cross functional collaboration. Deals with emerging and unpredictable events in a time sensitive and timely manner.
- The incumbent requires a minimum 10 years of relevant experience in a related position.
- At least 5 years of experience in a senior or executive management capacity.
- Successful track record in maintaining competitive research programs, including obtaining extramural funding, training and management of competitive research teams.
- Knowledge and expertise in vaccine development and commercialization, industry experience is an asset.
- Experience in stakeholder interactions, development of networks, and establishment of successful partnerships.
- Ability to travel extensively.
Inquiries regarding this job posting can be submitted to Dr. Volker Gerdts, Director and CEO at email@example.com or Raf Jamil, Associate Director Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit www.vido.org/careers/current-opportunities to apply. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until a suitable candidate is found.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo and meet certain requirements such as reliability status screening assessment, background check and a criminal record check as a condition of employment.
Note: VIDO-InterVac and the University of Saskatchewan are strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of our community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. We welcome applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.