Postdoc in Organic and Medicinal Chemistry
A postdoc position for 3 years within synthetic organic and medicinal lipid chemistry is available at the Department of Drug Design and Pharmacology, University of Copenhagen, starting 1 March 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The research environment
The position is in the group of Professor Trond Ulven (www.tugrp.dk) at the Department of Drug Design and Pharmacology. The research of the group is within organic and medicinal chemistry, drug discovery and medical nutrients, especially targeting GPCRs. The group is leading in the field of drug discovery on free fatty acid receptors. The Department of Drug Design and Pharmacology (drug.ku.dk) represents a strong research environment that is leading in medicinal chemistry and neuropharmacology. The University of Copenhagen (www.ku.dk/english/) was founded in 1479 and is ranked 29 in the world (ARWU2018).
Accumulating evidence suggests that intake of dairy-specific sphingomyelin can ameliorate age-related cognitive decline and dementia in elderly individuals. The overall goal of this project is to investigate the basis for the biological effects of sphingomyelin, including uptake, metabolism, blood-brain barrier penetration, and membrane incorporation. Key tasks in this postdoc position includes development of efficient protocols for synthesis of sphingomyelin and the synthesis of sphingomyelin molecules and metabolites labeled with stable isotopes. The project is financed by GUDP and involves an interdisciplinary collaboration between Arla Food Ingredients, the University of Southern Denmark, the University of Aarhus, Rigshospitalet and the University of Copenhagen.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A PhD in organic or medicinal chemistry, or a closely related area
- Broad experience with synthetic organic chemistry
- High motivation, excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills, independence, skills in efficient project planning and execution
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
The following qualifications are not mandatory, but will contribute to a positive evaluation:
- Experience with lipid chemistry
- Insight into cognitive disorders
For further information, please contact Prof. Trond Ulven at email@example.com.
Terms of employment
Salary and other terms and conditions of appointment are set in accordance with the Agreement between the Ministry of Finance and AC (Danish Confederation of Professional Associations) or other relevant professional organizations. The position is covered by the “Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at the Universities” of June 28, 2013. The position is for 3 years with a 3-month trial period.
How to apply
Applications must be in English and are sent online (by clicking “APPLY NOW” or "SØG STILLINGEN" below).
The following items are mandatory:
- Cover letter (max 2 pages) describing you background, qualifications and motivations for this particular position
- CV (complete but concise)
- References with contact information
- Complete list of publications (preprints and submitted manuscripts can be included but should be listed separately)
- Relevant diplomas A concise graphical summary of organic synthesis experience
The following items may be included but are not mandatory:
- Reference letters - The most relevant scientific publications (maximum 3)
The deadline for application is Sunday, February 10th, 2019, at 23:59 GMT + 1.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.