Academic Coordinator-Core Research Facility
Academic Coordinator-Core Research Facility
School of Medicine
University of California, Riverside
The School of Medicine (SOM) at the University of California Riverside invites qualified candidates for our Academic Coordinator I or II position, depending on qualifications. The successful candidate will report to the SOM Senior Associate Dean of Research and will essentially operate independently handling technical consulting with users, as well as experimental design, and be responsible for innovating new applications and methods in the SOM core facilities. This is a highly technical position involving both intravital imaging using confocal microscopy (which requires an understanding of fluorescence optics and also animal physiology) as well as high speed cell sorting (which requires a knowledge of flow cytometry and cell biology.) Each of these areas requires not only high level sophisticated knowledge of the technology, but also an understanding of the advanced applications of these instruments in Biomedical research so that the collaborations with investigators are successful.
Position Description as follows:
I. Coordination of Academic Programs:
A. Performance in research in specialized areas:
(1) Manage SOM core facilities
(a) Including histology core, multiphoton core, other instrumentation rooms (dark rooms, autoclaves, centrifuges), cell sorter core
(b) Manage scheduling and recharges for instrument users
(2) Focus on maintaining and operating the multiphoton core
(3) Focus on maintaining and operating the MoFlo Astrios Cell Sorter
(4) Obtain advanced training for Nikon A1R multiphoton microscope, and MoFlo Astrios cell sorter, and maintain up to date familiarity with cutting edge methods and applications in confocal and intravital microscopy imaging, and flow cytometry/ cell sorter methods and applications
B. Provide Training
(1) For users of multiphoton microscope
(2) For users of flow cytometers and Astrios cell sorter
(3) For users of tissue histology equipment
C. Methods development in collaboration with campus researchers
(1) Example: develop new applications of the multiphoton microscope in methods such as use of spectral detector array in performing spectral analysis of samples; identify approaches to adding fluorescence lifetime imaging to enable metabolic analysis of live cells
(2) Example: develop devices and protocols for holding tissues and animals for live multiphoton imaging, such as exposed loop of intestines, lobes of liver tissue, brain and spinal cord, etc.
(3) Example: advanced applications of cell sorter to sort sensitive cell types such as plant protoplasts, exosomes, epithelial cells, neuronal tissue cell subtypes
II. Professional Competence:
A. Build research collaborations with labs especially in development of new methods, toward publications of research results. Where applicable, participate in grant proposal development with collaborating labs, as well as develop independent research projects.
III. University and Public Service
A. Set up informational websites for each core service
(1) Introductory training documents, Software manuals
B. Convene meetings of the faculty oversight committee
C. Serve on Divisional committees as applicable
Applicants must hold a graduate degree in Biological Sciences (MS, PhD preferred) or a related field. Initial review of applications will begin on February 15, 2019 and applicants will be considered until the position is filled.
To apply: https://medschool.ucr.edu/employment/faculty/
Advancement through the Academic Coordinator/non-Senate Academic Staff ranks at the University of California is through a series of structured, merit-based evaluations, occurring every 2-3 years, each of which includes substantial peer input.
The University of California, Riverside is centrally located within the Southern California area and situated in an historic citrus growing area surrounded by mountain ranges. Riverside is an hour away from ski slopes, surfing, or hiking in mountain wilderness or desert environments, and housing in the area is very affordable. The campus is located in close proximity to a host of high profile universities, research institutes, and biotech industries in Southern California.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency