Research Fellow in the Laboratory of Prof Peter Török
We are currently recruiting a research fellow who will join the laboratory of Prof Peter Török at Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine (LKC medicine), a joint medical school between Imperial College London and Nanyang Technological University (NTU).
We seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in optical (confocal) microscopy. LKC have a number of PIs who carry out state of the art research into various aspects of biomedical sciences (e.g. optogenetics of brain, Alzheimer’s disease, zebrafish neurological function). A common need for these researchers is bespoke instrumentation, including various flavours of home-built advanced optical microscopy (confocal, two-photon, holographic, light sheet, SPIM, etc). We seek to appoint a suitably experienced Research Fellow who will be in charge of designing, building and delivering these microscopes.
The successful candidate will:
- Co-lead with PI research and engineering efforts into designing, building and delivering bespoke optical microscopes.
- Adapt shareware (e.g. Scanimage) or program from scratch data acquisition and instrument control software.
- Independently, or with the PI’s help, design or adapt parts of off-the-shelf advanced optical microscopes including optomechanical and optical parts
- Design or specify the purchase of off-the-shelf system electronics for the microscopes
Skills and qualifications:
- PhD or equivalent experience in optics, photonics, physics, electrical engineering or related field.
- Experience in design, optimisation, building, prototyping and testing of optical microscopes is essential
- Experience with electronics design and/or use is preferred
- Experience with various types of scanners (MEMS, galvo, etc) is essential Knowledge of optical design programs (Zemax, Code V) and 3D design programs (SolidWorks, Autocad) is preferred Programming knowledge is essential.
- Experience in C++, Phython, Matlab and/or Java is strongly desirable. Strong command of English (written and spoken) is essential
Interested applicants should send a single .pdf document, including a cover letter to show your capability to undertake the job and a full CV (with the names and contact details (including email addresses) of 2-3 references) to Prof Peter Török (Principal Investigator). Only shortlisted candidates will be notified for interview.