Faculty Positions (rank open) in Natural Sciences
Duke Kunshan University (DKU) invites applications for faculty positions in the following areas. These positions are open with regard to rank including tenured, tenure track and non-tenure track.
- Applied and theoretical Mathematics and related disciplines in areas including but not limited to Partial Differential Equations, Dynamical Systems, Combinatorics, Probability, Statistics, Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing, Mathematical Modeling, Optimization and Inverse Problems, and Mathematics for Data Science. Application link: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/12895
- Biology in areas including but not limited to cell and molecular biology, genetics and genomics, microbiology, biochemistry, computational biology and bioinformatics, Ecology, biogeochemistry. Application link: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/12897
- Chemistry in areas including but not limited to general chemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, biochemistry, environmental chemistry, material science. Application link: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/12898
- Data and Computational Science in areas including but not limited to Data Science, Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Statistics. Application link: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/12894
- Environmental Science in areas including but not limited to Environmental Science, Biogeochemistry, Environmental Chemistry, Ecology, Environmental Biology, Ecophysiology. Application link: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/12899
- Global Health in areas including but not limited to Biological Basis of Disease, Infectious Diseases, non-communicable diseases (NCDs), Health Care System, Evolution of Health and Disease, Global Disease Control Programs and Policies, Mental Health. Application link: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/12900
- Neuroscience in areas including but not limited to the biological basis of behavior, the systems and circuits that enable behavior, cognitive and computational neuroscience. We are seeking faculty who want to work in an interdisciplinary setting with colleagues in psychology, behavioral science, biology, economics, politics, health, leadership, ethics, philosophy, religious studies, sociology and anthropology. Application link: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/12945
- Physics in areas including but not limited to biophysics, computational physics, condensed matter, and material science. Application link: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/12896
In Fall, 2018, DKU is launching an innovative, integrated and interdisciplinary liberal arts undergraduate program leading to both Duke and DKU degrees. Students interested in science will be immersed in foundational core courses integrating mathematics, computational science and statistics, biology, chemistry and physics as well as a common set of university-wide courses on China, global challenges, and ethics. Areas of study in the natural sciences include, but are not limited to, Applied Mathematics and Computational Sciences, Data Science, Computer Science and Design, Cognitive Science, Material Science, Environmental Science, and Global Health, in addition to disciplinary areas of studies in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics. These positions may start as early as Fall 2019 or begin in the academic year 2020-2021.
Candidates must hold a Ph.D. degree or equivalent in an appropriate field. Research experience at a postdoctoral level (or greater) and teaching experience are desirable, as is experience in working in an interdisciplinary setting. Applicants should provide a cover letter including a clear statement of the candidate’s specific interest in DKU, a curriculum vitae, a research statement, and a teaching statement, as well as the names and contact information for three references. All materials should be submitted through Academic Jobs Online link above. The search committee also invites and encourages letters of nomination for potential candidates. Nominations and questions about the positions may be sent to email@example.com using “Science Search” as the subject line. Priority will be given to applications received by January 30, 2019; we will accept applications until the positions are filled.
Duke Kunshan University is a highly selective research-oriented, liberal arts and sciences university that offers both an elite liberal arts education and an environment in which premier research centers can flourish. Similar to the best liberal arts colleges in the U.S., all DKU faculty are deeply involved in teaching and advising and lead research teams comprised primarily of undergraduates, and graduate students in some areas. Faculty should clearly demonstrate their ability to serve as highly effective teachers with a strong commitment to Duke Kunshan University’s educational programs, which place particular emphasis on liberal arts undergraduate education. Faculty performance as scholars whose work has been widely perceived among peers as outstanding is also important. Research centers in environment, global health, and data science have already been launched, as well as a joint Wuhan-Duke University research institute, and other centers and institutes are planned. As a whole, the Duke Kunshan faculty will have strong commitments to teaching and research and outstanding quality in both research and teaching will be highly valued.
DKU is a partnership of Duke University, Wuhan University and the Municipality of Kunshan, China (https://dukekunshan.edu.cn/).* The DKU campus is 37 miles west of Shanghai in Kunshan, and is connected to Shanghai via an 18-minute high-speed train and a subway-light rail train system. DKU provides competitive compensation, benefits and start-up packages.
As an international intellectual community that encourages diversity, openness and creative learning, DKU welcomes outstanding faculty from around the world who contribute diverse perspectives and experiences to a global learning and research environment. DKU particularly welcomes applications from underrepresented groups and minorities.
* Duke Kunshan University (DKU) is accredited by the Ministry of Education (MOE) of the People’s Republic of China. Duke University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) in the United States to award baccalaureate, master’s and doctorate degrees. Duke Kunshan University is not accredited by SACSCOC and the accreditation of Duke University does not extend to or include Duke Kunshan University or its students. Note that DKU undergraduate students successfully completing the course of study required by Duke Kunshan University will be conferred both a DKU graduation certificate and diploma officially approved by the MOE as well as a diploma from Duke University (Duke University and its degrees are accredited by SACSCOC). Further, although Duke University agrees to accept certain course work from Duke Kunshan University to be applied toward an award from Duke University, that course work may not be accepted by other colleges or universities in transfer, even if it appears on a transcript from Duke University. The decision to accept course work in transfer from any institution is made by the institution considering the acceptance of credits or course work.