Research Associate, Process Development
Moderna is working to develop first-in-class messenger RNA (mRNA) based medicines. DNA and Enzymes Process Development, a process development team residing in Moderna's Technical Development organization, has been tasked with development and implementation of processes to produce DNA and Enzymes utilized in the production of RNA.
Our efforts in this area are growing, and Moderna is seeking a new team member to join the DNA and Enzymes Process Development Unit for a position based at the Cambridge, MA site. In this role, you will have the opportunity to develop commercialize processes to facilitate mRNA production processes, as well as DNA purification. The incumbent will collaborate closely with Moderna's core platform process development, analytical development and process automation teams to adapt existing technologies or develop new technologies for application in personalized medicine manufacturing. Our goal is to enable clinical studies and one-day commercial manufacturing, so you will work closely with multiple functions spanning development, technical operations and manufacturing.
The successful candidate must be able to work in a fast paced and highly dynamic environment, will have relevant academic and or industrial experience in large molecule bioprocessing, and will be able to contribute to both process development and commercialization related activities.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Design and execute studies to identify novel methods to purify biomolecules
- Optimize current processes to ease of manufacturing, cost, and to facilitate improved characteristics to aid in the production of mRNA therapeutics.
- Collaborate with analytics, development, technical operations and manufacturing on process design
- Perform routine analytical characterization of process intermediates using HPLC/UPLC, SDS-PAGE and agarose gels, UV-Vis spectroscopy
- Develop new innovative processes to fit manufacturing needs.
- Facilitate technology transfer to Pilot and GMP manufacturing teams
- Maintain thorough electronic lab notebooks and documentation records
- Present results in cross-functional meetings
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- BS in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry or closely related field, and 0-3 years relevant industry experience.
- Working knowledge of bioprocess engineering principles, process modeling, and Design of Experiment (DoE) statistical tools.
- Familiarity with nucleic acid and protein chemistry, enzyme kinetics, and analytical characterization of biomolecules
- Ability to plan and execute experiments independently
- Excellent communication, presentation, and writing skills
- Creative/innovative/problem solver
- Experience in early discovery or preclinical drug development
- Hands on experience with AKTA FPLC, Tangential flow filtration (TFF), and HPLC/UPLC instrumentation.
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches
- Company-provided iPhone
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 16 weeks 100% paid family caregiver leave
- 20 weeks 100% paid medical leave
- Adoption assistance and discounts to local childcare centers, as well as access to care.com
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.