Senior Scientist - Life Cycle Assessment
AgResearch is the Crown Research Institute tasked with delivering leading agricultural science and innovation to benefit the wider New Zealand economy. Our internationally-recognised scientists work across the agricultural sectors in collaboration with a range of stakeholders both nationally and internationally, putting science and innovation at the forefront. We are a unique organisation that is driving prosperity by transforming agriculture.
The Role and opportunity
AgResearch Farms Systems and Environment group is looking for a reputable Senior Scientist- Life Cycle Assessment to join the Environmental Research Team at the Christchurch campus in the New Year.
The Environmental Research team specialises in nutrient cycling in pastoral ecosystems, quantifying losses from soil to water and atmosphere and developing cost effective mitigations suitable for farm system integration.
Reporting into the Science Team Leader- Environmental Research, the Senior Scientist will be expected to consistently deliver/lead high quality research Life Cycle Assessment involving unique problems and complex issues in alignment with the AgResearch Statement of Corporate Intent.
The Senior Scientist will be expected to function as a significant contributor and authority in their field of Life Cycle Assessment Research and is expected to provide guidance and leadership in difficult or complex fields of research
Your ideal background
- PhD degree in Environmental Sciences, Primary Production Systems or Ecological Economics.
- A minimum of five years as a practising scientist in the discipline of Life Cycle Assessment.
- Project Management qualifications would be an added advantage.
- Experience in the application of scientific research, technology development, technology transfer and the application of complex specialist expertise.
- Has a proven record of accomplishment of research and development in Life Cycle Assessment associated with resource use and environmental foot printing (energy, water, nutrients, GHGs, other impact categories) of primary production systems.
- Experience in the use of Life Cycle Assessment software tools such as Simapro.
- Competent in the evaluation/development of emerging LCA methodology.
- Has a thorough knowledge of agribusiness supply chains and international markets.
- Understands the potential of and methodology required to achieve a low carbon bio-economy and potential benefits of circular economy principles
- Experience in working with stakeholder groups in applying LCA for industry-relevant outcomes.
- Excellent peer-reviewed publication record in high impact scientific journals.
- Uses scientific methodologies for all research, and follows rigorous development and documentation procedures for research protocols.
- Knowledge and interest in New Zealand pastoral agriculture industries.
AgResearch provides a diverse range of benefits including flexible working options that help our staff balance their own lifestyle and needs with their work commitments. You can view the full list here: http://www.agresearchcareers.co.nz/working-here/our-benefits/
How to apply
If this sounds like you, apply today on the link below with a covering letter detailing why you feel you would be suitable for this position.
For any enquiries, please email Ourfuture@agresearch.co.nz
Applications close: Monday 31 December 2018 at 5.00pm (please note there maybe be a delay in processing applications due to public holidays).