Postdoctoral Clinical Position in Nutrition at Columbia University
Postdoctoral Clinical Fellowship in Nutrition for Physician 2019-2020
Columbia University Medical Center/New York Presbyterian Hospital is currently accepting applications for the July 2019 position in the Department of Preventive Medicine & Nutrition. The program is a one-year clinical fellowship on the Adult Nutrition Support Service, with subsequent research year(s) possible based on performance and interest. Research opportunities in the first year depend on the motivation of the fellow.
The goals of the fellowship are for the trainee to become competent in the following for acutely and chronically ill patients with nutritional risk:
- Assess nutritional state and risk for complications.
- Develop, implement, monitor and adjust the appropriate nutrition support modality
- Diagnose and manage complications related to nutrition support therapy
The fellow will work under the direct supervision of David S. Seres, MD, ScM, PNS, Director of Medical Nutrition, Associate Professor of Medicine. Dr. Seres has been a physician nutrition specialist since 1990. Ample opportunities also exists within the department to pursue clinical research projects. Trainees are actively encouraged to attend and contribute to national meetings especially the American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (ASPEN) annual meeting. Please see our website for more detail: http://www.columbiamedicine.org/divisions/preventive/cns.shtml
To be considered for the fellowship, the applicant must have completed a specialty residency (internal medicine, family medicine, or three years of surgery) and be Board eligible or certified. Potential interviewees are selected based on submitted documentation, including curriculum vitae, school transcripts, board scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Trainees will be selected based on the interview, the submitted materials and their prior and/or future commitment to nutrition practice and research in their career.
Because this is not an ACGME certified fellowship, to be considered applicants must have the following:
- US citizenship or permanent residency/green card. (J-1 considered on a case-by-case basis for truly exceptional applicants).
- Be eligible for a New York State Medical License, which must be obtained in advance of your start date.
- Be USLME certified (plus, ECFMG is applicable).
- Have completed an approved residency (or the first 3 years of surgical residency), and be eligible or board certified by the appropriate board.
If you are interested, please submit the following:
- Personal statement outlining why you are interested in clinical nutrition and how you see yourself using the training you receive.
- What skills you would like to gain and what makes you an exceptional candidate.
- Current curriculum vitae.
- Three letters of recommendation, including from the Program Director of your most recent training program.
- USLME scores
Please forward your application materials to: email@example.com
David S. Seres, MD, PNS
Director, Medical Nutrition and Nutrition Support Service
Apply for Postdoctoral Clinical Position in Nutrition at Columbia University
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly