Two post doc positions available
- Post-doctoral scholar opportunity in Computational Biology at Stanford University
A post-doctoral scholar position in computational biology is available at the Sean N. Parker Center for Allergy and Asthma Research at Stanford University (http://med.stanford.edu/allergyandasthma.html) under the directorship of Dr. Kari Nadeau. Our main goal is to study and develop novel approaches for the prevention, early detection, diagnosis, and treatment of allergies, asthma and other atopic diseases.
We are seeking a highly motivated computational scientist to extend our team of medical, immunological and bioinformatical researchers. A main part of the position will be the work with mass cytometry (CyTOF) data. The position will be under the mentorship of Dr. Sandra Andorf, Director of Computational Biology at the Sean N. Parker Center for Allergy and Asthma Research.
Ideal candidates will have a mixture of the following skills:
- Ph.D. in bioinformatics, computational biology, biostatistics, or similar (preferably obtained no more than 2 years ago).
- Programming experience is required (preferably in R or python).
- Experience in single cell data analyses and integrative multi-omics approaches is required.
- Experience in mass cytometry (CyTOF) data analysis is highly desired.
- Proven track record in problem-solving skills and creative thinking.
- A background in immunology and experience working with clinical trial data will be a plus.
- Applicants must possess good communication skills and be fluent in both spoken and written English.
To apply, please send your CV, a brief statement of research interests, and contact information for three references in one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. A postdoctoral research fellow position is available at the Sean N. Parker Center for Allergy and Asthma Research at Stanford University School of Medicine. SNP Center is a highly innovative, dynamic, and fast-paced platform driving valuable translational research in the field of food allergy treatment.
The proposed research would broadly explore the immune mechanism of tolerance conferred through oral immunotherapy. The candidate would thus primarily perform immune assays focusing on total and allergen-specific T and B cell subsets.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The candidate is expected to (i) be involved in designing a set of experiments to address the questions towards specific aims of a given project, (ii) carry out necessary optimization, and perform those experiments, (iii) organize and analyze data, (iv) present and discuss the results with experts within and outside the laboratory, and derive final conclusions, (v) work on manuscripts, grant proposals, abstracts based on the research findings, (vi) effectively communicate, and coordinate sample/data exchange with collaborators.
Highly motivated applicants with a PhD degree (preferably obtained in the last 2 years or less) in allergy/immunology, or a related field and a strong interest in immune mechanism discovery are invited to apply.
Human primary cell culture, ex vivo stimulation
Flow and mass cytometry data acquisition and analysis
Basic immune assays such as western blots, ELISA
Immune cell sorting and short-term culture
Molecular biology techniques in the context of RNA sequencing
Confocal microscopy, or related microscopy-based investigational skills (optional)
Knowledge of computational analysis using Matlab, programming in R, Python would be a plus.
Good laboratory practices, recordkeeping and organizational skills
Critical thinking and drive
Clear verbal and written communication in scientific English
References and publications to endorse the above mentioned skills and abilities
None. It is expected that the postdoctoral fellow will interact with the other members of the laboratory and collaborating teams in a genial manner. After gaining sufficient experience in the laboratory, and demonstrating abilities over a span of months, the candidate may be offered to mentor summer interns and undergraduate students.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.