Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion
Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion College of Natural Resources
About the Opportunity
Position of Associate Dean
NC State University's College of Natural Resources invites applications and nominations for the position of Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion. Reporting to the Dean, this position will serve as a member of the College's Executive Leadership Team, setting policy and strategic direction for the College, and represents and advocates for the College in various venues including university-wide committees and working groups focused on diversity and inclusion. The Associate Dean will provide dynamic leadership to foster an inclusive, accessible, equitable, and diverse climate, which is essential for academic excellence. And in this role, the incumbent will be required to have the ability to be strategic, visionary, transformative, and tactical while delivering tangible results.
The Associate Dean will also be expected to:
- Work closely with the department heads, diversity leaders in each department, search committee chairs, and others to coordinate efforts which advance the College's strategic goals.
- Build and lead teams of faculty, students, staff, and community members to support and advance these goals.
- Lead the College Diversity and Inclusion Committee and establishes other teams as appropriate to achieve goals.
- Gather data on College climate and cultural competency and conducts diversity-related data analysis, planning and assessment to evaluate strategies and programs for recruiting, retention, cultural competency, equity, and inclusion.
- Develop materials and programs that increase cultural competence and enhance community, and assist the faculty with course development to infuse diversity and inclusive content across the curriculum and help facilitate and nurture an innovative, inclusive and immersive student experience.
- Teach and conduct research and scholarly work appropriate to the position and their expertise.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean.
Requirements and Preferences
The College of Natural Resources is seeking an outstanding individual who will be expected to have a commitment, strong knowledge, and significant work experience in the realm of diversity and inclusion over the course of at least five (5) years. Candidates shall possess a Ph.D. or appropriate terminal degree, and accomplishments suitable for appointment at the faculty rank of tenured Associate or Full Professor in one of the three departments in the College of Natural Resources. Candidates should also have an understanding of the land-grant university system with the ability to build partnerships inside and outside of the University.
Candidates must also demonstrate:
- The ability to set priorities, analyze data, and to think systematically from both a detailed and a strategic perspective.
- A record of strong and consistent teamwork, ethical behavior, and collaboration with faculty, administrators, staff and students.
- Experience facilitating difficult conversations, ability to interact effectively and build relationships with students, faculty, and staff who have a wide variety of backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, beliefs, and lived experiences.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
- The ability to build consensus and trust.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Preference will be given to candidates that have significant teaching experience and scholarly achievement; experience in program planning and assessment; a demonstrated willingness to lead and inspire others to facilitate successful multidisciplinary collaborations; and/or experience in scaling up successful solutions to comprehensively embrace all of our community with innovative experiences, curricula, and opportunities.
How to Apply
The nominating committee invites applications to be submitted online at jobs.ncsu.edu (position #00061789). Applications should include a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references. Please refer letters of nomination and expressions of interest to Frank Barragan, Executive Recruiter, within the HR Division – contact information is provided below. Confidential review of materials will begin in November 2018, and will continue until the appointment is made. For additional information please visit: go.ncsu.edu/cnr-diversitysearch.
Frank Barragan, NC State University
firstname.lastname@example.org • Office: 919-515-4365 • Cell: 919-791-7641
About the College of Natural Resources
The College of Natural Resources aspires to be a national and international leader in finding solutions to natural resources challenges. To achieve this goal, the College must actively engage the students, faculty and staff in achieving a culture that embraces equity, diversity and inclusion in everything it does.
The College's Office of Diversity and Inclusion sits within the Dean's Office and serves the students, faculty and staff across the College's three departments and the Center for Geospatial Analytics. The Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion has oversight for all aspects of diversity and inclusion in the College, including recruiting a diverse faculty, staff and student body, creating a welcoming and inclusive environment, training and professional development, and infusing diversity across the curriculum. The Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion works closely with Academic Affairs, the College Business Office, and the academic departments to achieve these goals.
It is truly an exciting and exceptional time at the University and the College of Natural Resources. You are invited to read further points of interest by referring to cnr.ncsu.edu/about.
About NC State
Think and Do
At NC State University, we create prosperity for North Carolina and the nation. We began as a land-grant institution grounded in agriculture and engineering. Today, we're a pre-eminent research enterprise that excels across disciplines.
NC State is a powerhouse in science, technology, engineering and math. We lead in agriculture, education, textiles, business and natural resources management. We're at the forefront of teaching and research in design, the humanities and the social sciences. And we're home to one of the world's best colleges of veterinary medicine.
Our more than 34,000 undergraduate and graduate students learn by doing. They pursue original research and start new companies. They forge connections with top employers and serve communities local and global. Through it all, they enjoy an outstanding return on investment.
Each year, NC State adds $6.5 billion to the statewide economy, equivalent to creating more than 90,000 new jobs. That represents significant return on investment for the citizens of North Carolina in the form of research advances, innovative technologies, successful companies, skilled graduates and new jobs waiting for them.
Our 9,000 faculty and staff are world leaders in their fields, bridging the divides between academic disciplines and training high-caliber students to meet tomorrow's challenges. Together, they forge powerful partnerships with government, industry, nonprofits and academia to remake our world for the better.
NC State is leading efforts to curb nuclear proliferation, develop a smart electric grid, create self-powered health monitors, help farmers confront climate change and build a new American manufacturing sector. Our award-winning Centennial Campus is home to more than 70 public and private partners — as well as the innovative Hunt Library, which Time magazine has dubbed “the library of the future.”
NC State's Definition of Diversity
Diversity is an inclusive community of people with varied human characteristics, ideas and world-views and whose interactions both benefit and challenge each other to grow while making the community better. Such a community will:
- Enhance access, attract and retain a diverse population and promote equity and equal opportunity;
- Encourage interaction among diverse people to enrich the educational experience, promote personal growth and enhance the community;
- Foster mutual respect, value differences and promote cross-cultural understanding; and
- Prepare leaders to live and work in a competitive global community.
By definition, NC State reflects diversity because it comprises a community of individuals from varied backgrounds and demographic categories; it encourages, accepts and values a diversity of people and ideas; it seeks to promote an environment where equity, respect and understanding represent the norm in the campus climate; and, it seeks to prepare entrepreneurs who are effective citizens of a global community. We will know that we have achieved authentic diversity when all four of these objectives are fully realized.
About Raleigh and North Carolina
North Carolina is one of the fastest-growing states in America. Agriculture is the top industry in the state, producing $84 billion in revenue each year. A leading state in diversity and a top spot for young professionals and families, Raleigh is nationally recognized as a city on the rise:
- 1 among the top 10 best cities for jobs (CNN Money, 2015)
- 3 among the best places for business and careers (Forbes, 2016)
- 5 among the best midsize U.S. metro areas for college students (American Institute for Economic Research, 2017)
- 5 among best U.S. cities for raising a family (Forbes, 2017)
- 6 among America's best cities for young professionals (Forbes, 2017)
With Durham and Chapel Hill, Raleigh anchors the Research Triangle, a national hotspot for high-tech enterprise. The top companies in the region — including IBM, Cisco Systems, SAS Institute, Biogen Idec and GlaxoSmithKline — are among the country's best employers. NC State also has strong agricultural partnerships with Bayer, BASF, and Syngenta. They also lead the way in hiring new NC State graduates. Celebrating its 130th year in 2017, NC State continues to make its founding purpose a reality. Every day our career-ready graduates and world-leading faculty make the fruits of learning and discovery available to people across the state, throughout the nation, and around the world.
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, veteran status, or disability. In addition, NC State University welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation. The University welcomes the opportunity to work with candidates to identify suitable employment opportunities for spouses or partners.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/mb6yv2t4sys9ff4v