Sr. Director, Operational Excellence
The Operational excellence team is a newly formed organization with a vision to build Moderna's business processes, simple, lean and efficient to fuel our growth. We want to build a performance and continuous improvement-based culture leveraging best practices.
The Senior Director of Operational Excellence working with our diverse and fast paced teams, will focus on building the Operational Excellence capabilities and the culture of continuous improvement that will strengthen and streamline our operations and eliminate operational wastes. He/She will work with the executives and the senior leadership team to identify, across all the business areas, key improvements, and will support building and progressing programs and cross-functional efforts that drives those.
The role will require someone who is hands on and able to contribute as both a leader and individual contributor. The role will provide solid analytical support for all Operational Excellence teams to improve daily operations. We are looking for individuals who can enhance our team with their knowledge, skills, innovation and “can do” attitude. He/she should be able to recommend, develop, implement, and support new practices that maximizes business value and efficiencies.
This person will provide leadership and vision: the role requires a transformational leader (leadership is valued at all levels of the organization) who is willing to work with digital leaders on how to leverage new technologies and innovation to solve process challenges, learn new skills, drive innovation across the spectrum of his activities. To foster and enable best practices, thinking and acting strategically with technology is key.
The position reports to the Chief Digital and Operational Excellence Officer who is a member of Moderna's Executive Committee and is located in Cambridge, MA.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Lead Moderna's champions for Operational Excellence in all business functions to identify and deploy related programs. By using data, information value streaming and analytics diagnose problems which could relate to process, people, policy, technology, etc. develop the business cases that drive increased efficiency and improved employee experience and put in place the actions and the programs to address the vision.
- Provides definition, development and implementation of standard operations frameworks working with all the functional areas. Set standards and drives excellence in work-planning, governance, change management, deliverable production, and financial tracking. Over time, it is anticipated there will be several key functions touched by that role and for which this position is to provide strategic thinking, leadership and oversight on process optimization.
- Lead the roll-out of effective training programs on improvement tools such as: Lean thinking, Six Sigma, dashboards, etc. including the development and maintenance of an active pipeline of practitioners throughout the company
- You have the responsibility for articulating a vision and establishing and executing a multi-year strategy and roadmap to drive end-to-end process optimization and translating that strategy into tactical goals. You will facilitate the communication and the change management activities to drive awareness and support for that strategy.
- As a customer advocate, in a collaborative yet competitive and resilient attitude, coach and mentor the teams to innovate on new ways of working that challenges the status quo. Manage efficiency of operations by leveraging alternative delivery models e.g. automation, while delivering a consumer-grade employee experience. Understanding customer needs is key to process improvement.
- Define methodologies to ensure consistent tracking of the continuous improvement plans and review that each program execution have appropriate tracking and measures and that all the key decisions to ensure company objectives are met. Analyze trends/benchmarking data, display openness to new ideas, change and learning, identify opportunities for leverage, set and keep focus on goals, utilize resources effectively and anticipate issues.
- Support the OE Leads of both large and complex process improvement/redesign projects across functions and departments as well as smaller scale quick win events; make sure working with the leads we have effective resources assigned to projects and timely completion of deliverables throughout all phases
- Develops relationships with senior leadership and act as champion to foster the culture continuous improvement throughout Moderna
- Work intimately with the digital team to ensure that any technology required to implement the process optimization is planned for and establish shared governance and methodology for tracking, monitoring, and decision management.
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- A results-oriented individual with strong influencing, problem solving and negotiation skills that drive accountability and who has a proven ability to build relationships and influence individuals at all levels in the organization to problem-solve complex issues.
- Proven capabilities in managing and executing Operational excellence initiatives in a growing and fast paced environment.
- Ability to perform under pressure and lead multiple priorities with competing demands for resource while instilling confidence in the business and demonstrating the business value of OE activities
- Trust by being appropriately open, honest, consistent and ethical, seeking to eliminate inefficiencies and engaging others as well as organization, prioritization, follow-through and time management.
- The ability to inspire others to take on extraordinary efforts with positive attitudes, drive, and determination, that demonstrate a passion for business optimization.
- Proven track record as not only as a “coach/leader” leading others, but also having the willingness and ability to roll up the sleeves and engage in detailed execution when required.
- A Service-oriented mindset where the personal satisfaction is coming from a job well-done that makes customers happy.
- 15+ years of leadership experience in Continuous Improvement Methodologies (Lean, Six Sigma, Kaizen, etc.) with increasing responsibilities.
- Has a track record of tangible improvements, with evidence of successful implementation of continuous improvement programs resulting in improved performance in quality, lead-time and productivity
- Detail oriented, exceptional attention to detail with ruthless pursuit of excellence in everything he does.
- Full functional knowledge of key end-to-end business processes (Order to Cash, Source to Pay, Hire to Retire, Record to Report, Plan to Distribute, Idea to Market, etc.)
- Excellent analytical, strategic planning, strategic conceptual thinking and execution skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain sophisticated concepts to business stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively collaborate in a dynamic, cross-functional matrix environment.
- The ideal candidate has experience in the creation and running of a global OE center of expertise
- Shared services delivery operation, including strategy development and evolution
- Solid planning, organizational and project management skills with the ability to multi-task and assimilate new information quickly.
- Bachelor's degree BS/BA in advanced process engineering or equivalent experience.
- Master's degree or MBA
- Lean/Six sigma Certifications
- PMP Project management knowledge, experience and/or certification
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches
- Company-provided iPhone
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 16 weeks 100% paid family caregiver leave
- 20 weeks 100% paid medical leave
- Adoption assistance and discounts to local childcare centers, as well as access to care.com
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.