Scientist, Drug Product Analytical Development
At Moderna, we are pioneering the development of a new class of drugs made of messenger RNA (mRNA). This novel drug platform builds on the discovery that modified mRNA can direct the body's cellular machinery to produce nearly any protein of interest, from native proteins to antibodies and other entirely novel protein constructs that can have therapeutic activity inside and outside of cells.
Moderna is seeking a Scientist for a position based at their Cambridge, MA site. The individual in this role will be a highly skilled, talented and motivated scientist that will be focused on mRNA and LNP biophysical analysis and pharmaceutics. The successful candidate will drive the development and application of biophysical methodologies applicable to pharmaceutical quality attributes of drug substance and lipid nanoparticle-based drug product. The incumbent will also work cross functionally with Moderna scientists and engineers in analytical development, process science, and process development to provide biophysical support and subject matter expertise to the development of early and late stage processes for Moderna's clinical programs, including Moderna's Personalized Cancer Vaccine. The successful candidate must have a Ph.D. (Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related science) with 0-5 years of post-doctoral experience and be a subject matter expert in biophysical analysis of biopharmaceuticals.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Work closely with the process development and CMC team to characterize in process and final product intermediates during development and comparability exercises
- Design, execute, and analyze experiments to advance mRNA lipid nanoparticle characterization and stabilization, including automating methods for high throughput analysis.
- Characterize RNA higher-order structure using DSC, CD and FT-IR
- Analyze RNA physical attributes and degradation
- Develop novel biophysical methods for lipid nanoparticles utilizing spectroscopic techniques including fluorescence and Raman spectroscopy
- Develop and apply particle sizing methodologies across the submicron, subvisible and visible size ranges
- Perform thermodynamic analyses of mRNA and lipid nanoparticles
- Perform pre-qualification and method transfer of biophysical and analytical methodologies
- Be accountable for project success and results delivery
- Document and communicate findings
- Present results at internal meetings
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Ph.D. (Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related science), with 0-2 years of post-graduate work, MS with 5-8 years experience, or BS with 8-10 years experience
- Experience in performing biophysical characterization of RNA or biologics drugs
- Experience with high throughput analysis and assay automation
- Experience with techniques applicable to nanoparticles and colloidal systems
- A deep knowledge and practical experience with spectroscopic, physical, and thermodynamic techniques applicable to nucleic acids
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with HPLC and modes of separation (e.g. ion exchange, reverse phase ion pairing, size exclusion)
- Ability to work independently or collaboratively, as required
- Ability to handle multiple projects and thrive in a diverse and fast paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Organization and attention to detail
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches
- Company-provided iPhone
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 16 weeks 100% paid family caregiver leave
- 20 weeks 100% paid medical leave
- Adoption assistance and discounts to local childcare centers, as well as access to care.com
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.