Sr. Cloud Engineer
This role is an exciting opportunity to be a critical part of the talent engine fueling a high growth organization that is radically changing the biotech industry. Moderna has implemented a cloud first strategy where all of our critical systems and enterprise applications are deployed in the Cloud. Moderna recently completed the buildout of a state-of-the-art, LEED certified, cGMP manufacturing facility in Norwood, MA. This 200k sq. foot campus is critical as we continue to move more of our therapies into the clinic and require in-house manufacturing. This new capability created a need for a tightly integrated hybrid cloud solution that extends the boundaries of a traditional private cloud. We are looking for an experienced Cloud Engineer to take on the challenge of engineering infrastructure solutions in this environment with a focus on scale and performance while providing strong guarantees of availability to our users. At Moderna, we work collaboratively as a team, boldly strive for excellence, are constantly curious and committed to ongoing learning and improvement and are relentless in our pursuit of the best talent in the industry.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Act as the primary contact on architectural design and new cloud services implementations
- Provision and deploy solutions for high availability, high security and high performance.
- Develop and document technical plans for disaster recovery and business continuity
- Implement cloud-based monitoring, alerting and active monitoring of risks to services SLAs.
- Lead and design the technical infrastructure processes, integrate solutions into existing infrastructure, consult on development projects and help deploy solutions that meet functional and non-functional requirements
- Have a focus on automation of operational processes, configuration management and monitoring of application components.
- Own our IT infrastructure, where we'll trust you to troubleshoot and debug run-time issues.
- Interface with customers to address problems and drive issue though resolution.
- Develop operational reports using metrics that measure high availability, throughput and reliability.
- Understand and adhere to Moderna operational processes following an ITIL framework to ensure auditability and compliance with industry standards (SOX, GMP, HIPAA, GDPR, etc.)
- Continually evaluate service and infrastructure usage to effectively manage performance, capacity and cost - automating solutions wherever possible
- Contribute to documentation required to guide on-call engineers and on-board team members
- Support a 24/7/365/day on-call operations when production issues arise and are calm under pressure.
- Actively contribute to a high-growth, transformational company that is Bold, Relentless, Curious, and Collaborative.
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering / IT or related fields.
- 10+ years of experience as a Systems / Infrastructure Engineer
- 3+ years hands-on experience on AWS cloud infrastructure. AWS Certification preferred.
- Extensive engineering experience with Windows and Linux
- Experience developing solutions for service monitoring, automated remediation, measuring availability and reliability, performance, analytics and security.
- Excellent knowledge of scripting languages such as Python and Powershell
- General networking knowledge
- Proficiency in compliance, Cloud Security Architecture, third party security tools/platforms, encryption/KMS, IAM policies/roles, WAF, etc.
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a dynamic fast-paced environment and work in an Agile development framework.
- Proficiency in the use of automation tools, configuration management solutions, DevOps principles and data manipulation for operational reports.
- Ability to develop and leverage tools for managing infrastructure as code.
- Working knowledge of relevant GxP concepts, guidelines and regulations as they relate to systems qualification and application validation preferred.
- A passion for assessing emerging technologies and staying abreast of industry trends
- Experience writing process requirements, technical design documents and standard operating procedures.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work split your time between our Norwood and Cambridge facilities.
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches
- Company-provided iPhone
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 16 weeks 100% paid family caregiver leave
- 20 weeks 100% paid medical leave
- Adoption assistance and discounts to local childcare centers, as well as access to care.com
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.