Scientist/Sr Scientist, Discovery Chemistry
Moderna is seeking a Scientist/Senior Scientist in Discovery Chemistry to help expand Moderna's proprietary mRNA delivery platform. The individual will possess a strong synthetic polymer chemistry background and experience related to biodegradable and/or bio-responsive polymers. Candidates with a proven record of innovation and experience in application-oriented polymer design and synthesis are strongly encouraged to apply.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Provide innovative solutions towards the discovery and development of novel materials to enable efficient in vivo delivery of polynucleotides.
- Conduct multi-gram scale polymer synthesis to generate materials libraries based on hypothesis-driven design criteria
- Develop purification methods to achieve stage appropriate purity of intermediates and final products.
- Identify and develop analytical methods for robust characterization of novel materials, collaborate with analytical chemists to facilitate analytical method development.
- Work effectively in cross-functional teams to enable formulation and advance the evaluation of novel delivery materials
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biomaterials, or Chemical Engineering and 0 - 3 or 3 - 5 (Scientist or Senior Scientist) years of relevant industrial experience.
- Training and experience in the field of polymer chemistry and/or synthetic chemistry is required, including hands-on polymer synthesis experience.
- Strong understanding of polymer characterization techniques (NMR spectroscopy, Size Exclusion Chromatography, Light Scattering, DSC/TGA, Viscometry, LC, Mass Spectrometry) and impurity profiling methods (GC, ICP-OES/MS, KF) and ability to conduct relevant analytical method developed.
- Effective oral and written communication and the ability to mentor junior group members. Proven track record of scientific achievement in academic research or industrial R&D and ability to excel in a fast-paced multi-disciplinary work environment.
- Candidate will be curious in exploring new path for drug discovery, bold in proposing creative experimental designs and ideas. Will work collaboratively with multifunctional teams and will be relentless in pursuing successful outcomes
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches
- Company-provided iPhone
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 16 weeks 100% paid family caregiver leave
- 20 weeks 100% paid medical leave
- Adoption assistance and discounts to local childcare centers, as well as access to care.com
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.