Postdoctoral Research Associate (Bang Lab, Stem Cell Biology, Prebys Center)
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute (SBP) is an independent nonprofit research organization that blends cutting-edge fundamental research with robust drug discovery to address unmet clinical needs in the areas of cancer, neuroscience, immunity, and metabolic disorders. The Institute invests in talent, technology, and partnerships to accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries that will have the greatest impact on patients. Recognized for its world-class NCI-designated Cancer Center and the Conrad Prebys Center for Chemical Genomics, SBP employs about 1,000 scientists and staff in San Diego (La Jolla), Calif., and Orlando (Lake Nona), Fla. For more information, visit us at SBPdiscovery.org. The Institute can also be found on Facebook at facebook.com/SBPdiscovery and on Twitter @SBPdiscovery.
Dr. Anne Bang leads efforts at the Conrad Prebys Center for Chemical Genomics to develop patient cell specific and human induced pluripotent stem cell (hiPSC)-based disease models for drug screening and drug target identification. Her research program is primarily focused on neurological and neuromuscular disease, with the aim of designing human cell-based models and assays that reflect higher order cellular functions and recapitulate disease phenotypes, yet have the throughput and reproducibility required for drug discovery.
The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for conducting research related to developing patient specific, cell based, “disease in a dish” models for neurological disease to screen for drugs, validate new targets and chemical molecules, and probe underlying cellular and molecular processes. The project will focus on the development of models representing neurological disease phenotypes, using patient specific induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC), and will utilize high throughput drug screening technologies. The position is at the Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute in Dr. Anne Bang’s lab in the Prebys Center, which is a state-of-the-art drug screening facility. The position will be initially available for one year, with renewal based on performance.
Education and Experience:
- This position requires an M.D., or Ph.D.
- Previous postdoc training experience not required.
- The qualified applicant must have proven experience in one or more of the following areas: cell biology, developmental biology, stem cell biology, neurobiology, electrophysiology. Research experience working on neuropsychiatric or neurodegenerative diseases would be considered an advantage.
- The ability to work independently, and simultaneously handle multiple projects.
- Demonstrated ability to work in an interactive team, excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong organizational skills.
- Proven presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- Possess strong attention to detail, analytical, time management, organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Independently designs and performs experiments and procedures with high degree of complexity, demonstrating increasing expertise with a wide range of techniques.
- Demonstrates flexibility in adapting methods/skills according to evolving project priorities.
- Provides independent experimental design and follow up planning, interpretation of results and evaluation of data.
- Able to analyze and interpret data from different sources and draw relevant conclusions.
- Demonstrates knowledge in specialized disciplines.
- Presents results within lab, and at external meetings.
- Accurately documents experiments in lab notebook.
- Contributes to writing of reports and manuscripts, with increasing responsibility over time.
- Works collaboratively across functions. Trains junior members of team as needed.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.