Principal / Sr. Research Associate, Delivery Sciences
Moderna is seeking a highly motivated research associate-level chemist to join the Delivery Sciences group based in Cambridge, MA. The successful candidate will be responsible for the design, synthesis, and physical characterization of mRNA formulations in a dynamic and highly interdisciplinary environment. There will be the opportunity to integrate automated liquid handling techniques into characterization method development. Drawing on his/her extensive background in pharmaceutical Preformulation (small or large molecule), the successful candidate must be committed to advancing technology goals on aggressive timelines through effective collaboration with all stakeholders in a dynamic organization.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Contribute to the multi-step design, planning, execution, and characterization of nanoparticle formulations for in vitro and in vivo studies
- Characterize nanoparticle formulations in routine and non-routine environments, and interpret data, communicate findings, and maintain high-quality laboratory documentation
- Transfer and validate methods to an automated liquid handling system
- Contribute to scientific discussions and strategic collaborations aimed at advancing the mRNA delivery platform
- Partner with internal groups (chemistry, formulations, delivery, analytical, pharmacology and biology) to advance mRNA therapeutics
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Ability to collaborate effectively in a dynamic, cross-functional matrix environment
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. with 5+ years of experience in characterization of small and large molecules including biopolymers
- Strong foundation in biochemistry, chemistry, materials science, chemical engineering or related field
- Experience in nanoparticle characterization techniques (DLS, zeta potential, chromatography) and knowledge of structural biology and protein and nucleic acid characterization tools/techniques (gel electrophoresis, etc.) are preferred
- Expertise in automated liquid handling systems, automation method development and validation is highly preferred
- Strong written and oral communication skills and a track record of achievement in publications and/or patent applications
- Desire for continued growth opportunities, including willingness to learn new skills and contribute across cross-functional areas
- Candidate will be curious in exploring new path for drug discovery, bold in proposing creative experimental designs and ideas. Will work collaboratively with multifunctional teams and will be relentless in pursuing successful outcomes
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches
- Company-provided iPhone
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 16 weeks 100% paid family caregiver leave
- 20 weeks 100% paid medical leave
- Adoption assistance and discounts to local childcare centers, as well as access to care.com
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.