4 Heads of Research Centres: Genomics, Computational Biology, Neuroscience and Structural Biology
Human Technopole (HT) is a new interdisciplinary research institute with a focus on human biology and its relation to medicine. It is located in Milano, on the site of the Milano Expo, which is currently being converted into a very large science and innovation campus called the Milano Innovation District (MIND: see website with overall plans, www.mindmilano.it).
HT is an independent foundation created and supported by the Italian government, which has guaranteed ongoing funding. The first Director of the Human Technopole (from 01.01.19) as well as Chairman of the Management Committee is Iain Mattaj, until now Director General of EMBL; the President and Chairman of the Supervisory Board is Marco Simoni, an economist with both academic and government background. Other details on governance can be found on the HT website (www.htechnopole.it).
In its first phase, to be completed by 2019, HT has or will create space for both computational and “wet” experimental biologists with one “dry” and two experimental buildings and a total capacity of roughly 500 staff. Thereafter, with new buildings, it will grow to have roughly 1500 staff during the first 10 years.
At present, HT is opening a search for the first Heads of Research Centres.
We wish to appoint Heads of Genomics, Computational Biology, Neuroscience and Structural Biology. Although human biology is the focus of HT, the use of appropriate models, including model organisms, to illuminate aspects of human biology is expected. Structural Biology equipment for high resolution cryo-EM will be one of the major initial infrastructure investments. We are particularly interested in people combining genomics and neuroscience.
The additional responsibilities of the Heads of Research Centres include:
- Developing, in a collegial way, the research strategy and priorities of the Centre
- Resource planning and financial control within the Centre
- Mentoring the younger faculty (roughly nine) within the Centre as well as in other HT Centres
- Ensuring that research standards reach the highest international level
- Preparation of regular external reviews of the Centre by international expert boards
- Active participation in senior scientific management committees within HT, to provide scientific, strategic and administrative input to the HT leadership
- Actively identify and pursue potential improvement to all aspects of HT
- Provide regular input and information on the Centre to the HT Director
- When required, present to the Supervisory Board of HT or its individual members
- Help develop institutional links between HT and other national and international research centres
- Actively raise third-party (external) funds and mentor younger faculty in doing so
- Help design and set up Core Facilities to serve their own and other HT Research Centres
The Heads of Research Centres will be leading researchers in their fields and have outstanding records. Departmental or institutional leadership experience is required. English will be the working language of HT. The Heads of Research Centres will possess scientific vision and will wish to develop, and operate in, an open, collaborative environment. Basic requirements include a PhD in biomedical sciences and at least 10 years of post-doctorate experience. The appointments will not have a fixed duration, but will be subject to regular performance review.
Please apply online https://www.htechnopole.it/join-us sending a CV, a motivation letter, a Project description and the names of four potential referees.
The project description should be 5-6 pages long and include a short description of both current and future research in the group as well as a vision for the Research Centre in the context of HT
Questions concerning the role and any queries regarding the terms and conditions should be sent to the HT Director, Iain Mattaj, at email@example.com
A detailed job description for the Heads of each Research Centre can be found at the following links:
Head of Genomic
Head of Computational Biology
Head of Neuroscience
Head of Structural Biology