This is an exciting role and opportunity to be a key member of the Accounting organization supporting a dynamic and high growth organization that is radically changing the biotechnology industry. The Accounting Manager will report to the Director of Accounting and Global Process Owner and will play a key role in managing the monthly and quarterly close processes to ensure a high quality, accurate and efficient monthly and quarterly accounting close processes to enable the Company to meet its external SEC reporting/filing timelines, while ensuring our SOX internal controls are operating effectively, and our books and records are compliant with US GAAP.
The Accounting Manager will also support and lead process improvements and optimization of our business processes across the Company to ensure scalability of our operations to support future growth. A key goal for the Accounting Manager will be to drive continuous improvements in our accounting close and reporting processes and the related SOX internal controls. The Accounting Manager will also play a key role in educating and training the Accounting staff and stakeholders across the Company on our financial policies and processes. The successful candidate must be comfortable challenging the status quo, driving change, managing through uncertainty and supporting a high growth fast paced organization.
The successful candidate must have public company experience running a quarter-end close process to meet accelerated filing timelines, familiar with implementing and remediating SOX controls, and have experience driving Record to Report process improvements. This role will partner with FP&A and other functional teams to ensure adequate touch points to drive an accurate and accelerated close process, and to identify and provide solutions for process challenges.
We work collaboratively as a team, we boldly strive for excellence, we are constantly curious and we are relentless in our pursuit of the balance between efficiency, effectiveness, and controls and compliance. We are committed to ongoing process improvements and to providing accurate, timely and insightful financial information and a high level of customer service.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Align, establish and drive monthly and quarterly close process, schedules, deadlines, and key meetings with internal partners to review and obtain sign-off on financial results and variance analysis
- Oversee 2 accounting staff and ensure close process is performed in a timely and accurate manner, and in compliance with SOX controls
- Manage key vendor spend accrual processes, including accruals that rely on significant estimates
- Perform key monthly reconciliations and journal entries for complex accounting areas and issues
- Prepare monthly reporting package and presentations, including flux analysis and explanations, of our financial results for senior management (CAO and CFO), audit committee and external auditors
- Drive improvements in the close process in order to meet accelerated SEC filing timelines
- Collaborate with other finance and business stakeholders to support department goals, including implementations of accounting-related systems/applications and process improvements
- Support the financial audits and the SOX 404 audits, including the preparation of PBCs (prepared by client schedules) for the audits and for our SEC filings
- Prepare, review and educate staff on proper workpaper documentation as required under SOX
- Establish and maintain strong business partnerships with key counterparts including, FP&A, Procurement, and functional business owners
- Ensure adequate and timely touch points with the business and Technical Accounting team to identify and properly record accruals and other more complex revenue and accounting transactions (e.g., new collaboration agreements) and new accounting standards
- Possess broad knowledge of accounting concepts, superior analytical skills and knowledge of the industry to review issues and develop standards, policies and SOPs for the Accounting organization and in support of key business processes
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting required
- CPA required, Big 4 public accounting firm experience preferred
- 6+ years of combined public accounting and biotechnology/pharmaceutical Industry accounting experience
- Mid-size public company experience, preferably in biotechnology industry
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, internal controls and managing a quarter-end close and reporting process
- Strong knowledge of life science accounting transactions, including collaborations and clinical accruals
- Possess strong SOX internal controls background and demonstrated ability to manage and drive a quarter-end close process fully compliant under SOX
- Experience with financial systems including SAP, Blackline, and Concur (or another OCR tool); and Microsoft Suite of products
- Proactive, responsive and timely problem solver with outstanding project management skills, pays attention to detail, drives processes and meets deadlines.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively across functional teams
- Experience leading and driving process improvements
- A desire to be part of a high-growth, transformational company that is Bold, Relentless, Curious, and Collaborative.
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches
- Company-provided iPhone
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 16 weeks 100% paid family caregiver leave
- 20 weeks 100% paid medical leave
- Adoption assistance and discounts to local childcare centers, as well as access to care.com
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.