International Scholar Advisor I
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
International Scholar Advisor I (International Services Administrator I)
The International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) is committed to enhancing international education, fostering engagement of international students and scholars and enabling City of Hope research collaborations at a global scale. The International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) supports the recruitment, the retention, and the development of international scientists. The International Scholars Advisor is part of a high-performance team that values intellectual curiosity, new ideas, and growth.
The Advisor serves as the primary point of contact for J-1 and F-1 OPT/ STEM OPT sponsorship processes and provides senior-level advice and counseling to the international scientists on both immigration and cultural adjustment. As an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program, the Advisor will be responsible for ensuring program compliance and establishing institutional policies and best practices. To better serve the international scientist community, the Advisor will develop basic knowledge on other visa types such as H-1B, TN, O-1, F-1, B-1/B-2, and U.S. permanent residency and serve as a back-up for the Director.
Immigration Services (Primary Point of Contact for J-1 and F-1 OPT/ STEM OPT)
- Serves as the primary point of contact for J-1 and F-1 OPT/ STEM OPT sponsorship and processes. Provides advice on complex and sensitive immigration and visa issues to hiring managers, faculty, HR personnel and other stakeholders. Provides immigration counseling and cultural orientation support for international scientists on J-1 and F-1 (OPT and STEM OPT) visa statuses.
- Acts as an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. Ensures compliance with SEVIS rules and regulations. Develops and maintains institutional policies and best practices. Prepares and assists in the submission of J-1Annual report and Redesignation Application. Partners with key stakeholders to ensure that internal J-1 and F-1 OPT/STEM OPT sponsorship policy and procedures are in compliance with regulatory agency requirements and modifies policies and procedures as changes in the law occur. Develops and maintains thorough and up-to-date knowledge of legal/immigration issues and options as related to the international scientist population.
Immigration Services (Secondary Point of Contact for Other Visas)
- Serves as a secondary point of contact on other employment-based visas (H-1B, TN, E-3, O-1, TN, and EAD) and green card applications (PERM, EB-1, EB-2, and EB-3). As a back-up to the Director, reviews for accuracy, completeness and signs off as institution representative on immigration sponsorship documentation submitted to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Department of Labor (DOL). May also serve as a back-up Designated School Official (DSO) for the F-1 program and maintains F-1 compliance with SEVIS rules and regulations.
- Provides programming support to the international population with goals to increase cultural awareness and professional development for the international scientists and the campus community.
Data Management Support
- Manages and monitors data and systems, maintains data integrity. Designs and runs regular reports for office management. Maintains appropriate record keeping in compliance with DHS, DOL, and DOS regulations.
- Provides support and serves as back-up to other team members as needed. Performs other administrative duties and projects as assigned.
- Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor's degree or foreign equivalent
- One year of direct experience in the Exchange Visitor Program (J-1) administration and compliance (22 CFR Part 62), including Annual Report and Redesignation, and J-1 visa sponsorship process for international scientists in academic/ medical research field.
- Demonstrated passion and dedication to the field of international education and scientific/ medical research
- To be a Designated School Official for the F-1 visa program or Alternate Responsible Officer for the J-1 visa program, per federal regulations, applicant must be U.S. citizen or U.S. lawful permanent resident.
- Three years of direct experience in the Exchange Visitor Program (J-1) administration (22 CFR Part 62) ), including Annual Report and Redesignation, and J-1 visa sponsorship process for international scientists in academic/ medical research field.
- Experience with programming support for international scientists including postdoctoral fellows and visiting scientists
- Experience with OPT and STEM OPT application process for international scientists
- Working knowledge of other employment-based visas such as H-1B
- Working knowledge of F-1 visa and F-1 students
- Critical thinking skills including policy and regulations analysis
- Ability to maintain high attention to detail
- Ability to maintain highest level of confidentiality
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of a culturally diverse client base
- Microsoft Office Suite applications: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint - Required
- Salesforce and PeopleSoft, preferred
- Immigration information system, preferred
- Personal computer
- Computer peripheral equipment
Working / Environmental Conditions:
- Atmosphere and environment associated with an office setting
- Tobacco-free environment
- Occasional pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries
- Exposed to material of a confidential nature on a regular basis
- Moderate physical effort (lift/carry up to 25 lbs)
- Mostly sedentary work
- Occasional standing/walking
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Lifts/handles employee files
- Frequently works at PC involving focused concentration
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.