Postdoctoral Appointee - Synthetic Biology
What Your Job Will Be Like
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Scientist to develop CRISPR-Cas technology in cyanobacteria and apply high throughput functional screens for advanced biofuel production. Are you looking to do innovative and creative research? Do you want to be a member of a high performing team? We are a diverse, interdisciplinary team of scientists and professionals.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Cultivate and genetically modify cyanobacteria;
- Develop genome-wide screening libraries;
- Analyze next-generation sequencing results;
- Perform analytical measurements, including spectroscopy, microscopy, biomass characterization, HPLC, etc.;
- Participate in laboratory management, mentoring student interns, and writing of publications;
- Be part of a dynamic team of professionals that put passion into the work they do.
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance
About Our Team
The Bioenergy and Defense Technologies department, which is part of Sandia's Biological and Engineering Sciences Center, supports mission areas in biodefense, emerging infectious disease, and biofuels. The department conducts fundamental and applied research in cell biology, immunology, nanomaterials and microbiology. The focus is on the development and use of advanced enabling technologies such as fluorescence microscopy, vibrational spectroscopies, X-ray and neutron scattering, and chemometric data analysis tools to study biological systems of interest to biofuels development and biodefense. Current research projects include developing nanoparticles for drug and vaccine delivery, understanding receptor activation and cell signaling processes, novel pathogen detection approaches, plant physiology, cellulase enzymes, as well as algal biochemistry and cultivation characterization for biofuels applications. We conduct research for the National Institutes of Health, Basic Energy Sciences, the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Defense, U.S. Industry, Department of Health and Human Services and Sandia's Laboratory Directed Research & Development program.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Qualifications We Require
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, or related discipline (e.g., molecular biology, biochemistry);
- Direct, hands-on experience in common molecular biology techniques (PCR, transformation, electrophoresis, DNA/RNA/protein characterization);
- Experience in genetic modification, including DNA construct design and cloning;
- Experience in standard analytical techniques (spectroscopy, microscopy, etc.);
- Proven record of high technical achievement, as evidenced by publication record.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in cyanobacterial or algal cultivation;
- Experience in development or use of CRISPR-Cas technology;
- Experience in analysis of next-gen sequencing data;
- The ability to conduct creative, independent research;
- Experience in milestone-driven research;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Strong work ethic;
- Demonstrated dedication to laboratory safety.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.