Research Associate I
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Research Associate | Translational Research in Leukemia
We are an international and diverse group of ~25 scientists, technicians and PhD students. Our laboratory at the Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope, in Monrovia, CA is mainly focused on basic and translational research with the ultimate goal to cure acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), which represents the most frequent type of cancer in children and young adults. Our research involves innovative molecular and cell biology techniques, studies of patient-derived samples and in vivo drug-testing of experimental compounds in mice models.
We are looking for:
An energetic, curious and friendly new member for our group with a strong interest in science, biomedicine and cancer immunology. The ideal candidate is tech-savvy, eager to learn new techniques, has good manual dexterity, is detail-oriented and diligent, is ambitious and has good work ethic and enjoys working in a team environment with a group of smart and talented postdoctoral fellows.Additionally, basic knowledge of molecular biology and scientific techniques such as in vitro cell culture, western blotting, PCR and related techniques is desirable but not necessary. The applicant will work directly with apostdoctoral scientist in the lab to pursue a research project studying the function of immunological receptors inB-cell leukemia. This position is ideal for a recent college graduate who wants to expand on research background before starting a PhD or going to Medical School.
- Utilizing laboratory equipment and established protocols, performs a variety of research experiments. Records and validates results for accuracy and completeness.
- May modify protocols
- Write standard operating procedures and reports.
- Maintains records of work performed including results and methodology; utilizing records may calculate, graph and compile data.
- Develops techniques and expertise in one or more areas relevant to laboratory research project.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of materials.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Please E-mail the following documents in one (1) single PDF to email@example.com
(Label PDF with your last name followed by ALL_RA1_application), include:
- Motivation statement (What are your goals and how can we help you reach them)
- Detailed CV
- References of three academic/professional mentors (phone number, E-mail)
Please submit applications before 12/05/2018. Initial interviews will be conducted via Skype. Selected applicants will be asked to visit the lab and interview in person. The selected candidate is expected to start working in mid-to-end of January 2019.
More information about the group:
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
- Communication - Expresses ideas clearly and constructively (written and spoken, upward and downward, one-on-one and with groups).
- Customer Service - Seeks to understand customer needs and works to exceed customer expectations (internal and external).
- Initiative - Looks for opportunities to improve performance; manages time, work, and relationships effectively and efficiently.
- Professionalism - Treats others with respect; abides by the institutional values; displays a positive and cooperative attitude; adheres to the workplace Code of Conduct and compliance policies.
- Stewardship - Identifies efficiencies to reduce redundancy and/or elimination of tasks resulting in savings of cost, resources, and or/time.
- Teamwork - Works proactively and collaboratively with others to streamline work and achieve mutual goals.
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences
- 0-2 years of research/laboratory experience.
- Excellent computer skills
- Personal computer
- Basic Laboratory equipment; such as
Working / Environmental Conditions
- Smoke free environment
- May be exposed to toxic chemicals
- Subject to regularly changing priorities or work assignments
Protective Equip: May be Required
- Must wear PPE as required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.