Director, Accounting and Global Process Owner
This is an exciting role and opportunity to be a critical part of the Accounting organization supporting a dynamic and high growth organization that is radically changing the biotechnology industry. The Director of Accounting and Global Process Owner will report to the Controller and plays a key role in managing and directing the Accounting team to drive high quality, accurate and efficient monthly and quarterly accounting close processes to enable the Company to meet its external reporting and SEC filing timelines, while ensuring our internal controls are operating effectively, and our books and records are in compliance with US GAAP.
As the global process owner, the individual will drive cross-functional process improvements and optimize our business processes to enable the Company to scale its operations to support future growth. This individual will have a goal to drive efficiencies in our accounting close and reporting processes, support and optimize other financial processes, including procure-to-pay, and ensure our employees are adequately trained and adhere to our corporate financial policies. This individual must be comfortable challenging the status quo, driving change, managing through uncertainty and supporting a high growth fast paced organization.
The successful candidate must have public company experience running a quarter-end close process to meet accelerated filing timelines, familiar with implementing SOX controls, and have experience driving cross-functional process improvements, including procure-to-pay and record-to-report processes. This role will partner with Finance and other G&A teams, as well as our business partners to improve all touch points required to ensure an accurate and accelerated close process, and to identify and provide solutions for process challenges.
We work collaboratively as a team, we boldly strive for excellence, we are constantly curious and we are relentless in our pursuit of the balance between efficiency, effectiveness, and controls and compliance. We are committed to ongoing process improvements and to providing accurate, timely and insightful financial information and a high level of customer service.
Here's What You'll Do:
Responsibilities of Global Accounting Close:
- Align, establish and drive monthly and quarterly close schedules, deadlines, and key meetings with internal partners to review and obtain sign-off on financial results and variance analysis
- Establish and maintain strong business partnerships with key counterparts including, FP&A, Procurement, and functional business owners
- Ensure adequate and timely touch points with the business and Technical Accounting team to identify and properly record accruals and other more complex revenue and accounting transactions
- Ensure accounting records, monthly accounting close activities, and variance analyses are properly prepared, maintained and explained in a timely manner
- Possess broad knowledge of accounting concepts, superior analytical skills and knowledge of the industry to review issues and develop standards and policies
- Support the SEC Filings, audit committee and other financial presentations
- Support the quarterly reviews and the annual audit process with the auditors
- Possess strong internal controls background and demonstrated ability to support compliance with internal control frameworks and company policies
Responsibilities of Global Process Owner:
- Seeks continuous improvements through identifying and implementing creative solutions to support greater efficiency and effectiveness of processes and procedures, and partnering with our Digital team to leverage functionalities in our key financial systems.
- Identify and implement ways to streamline, simplify and shorten our quarterly close cycle
- Responsible for direct supervision and development of a growing accounting team
- Ability to motivate, lead and teach team members in order to produce high quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Manage, lead / mentor and build a team of 6-8 skilled accountants that can support a quality close process and global process improvements.
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting required, MBA or Master's degree preferred
- CPA required, Big 4 public accounting firm experience preferred
- 10+ years of combined public accounting and biotechnology/pharmaceutical Industry accounting experience
- Experience managing an accounting team of a publicly traded biotechnology company
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, internal controls and managing a quarter-end close and reporting process
- Strong knowledge of life science accounting transactions, including collaborations and clinical accruals
- Experience with financial systems including SAP, Blackline, and Concur (or another OCR tool); and Microsoft Suite of products
- Proactive, responsive and timely problem solver with outstanding project management skills, pays attention to detail, drives processes and meets deadlines.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively across functional teams
- Drives leadership from within the team for change recommendations and implementation methods or procedures to improve the efficiency of the function.
- A desire to be part of a high-growth, transformational company that is Bold, Relentless, Curious, and Collaborative.
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches
- Company-provided iPhone
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 16 weeks 100% paid family caregiver leave
- 20 weeks 100% paid medical leave
- Adoption assistance and discounts to local childcare centers, as well as access to care.com
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.