Principal/Sr. Research Associate, Discovery Chemistry
Moderna is seeking a highly qualified and motivated scientist to join the Discovery Chemistry group for a Senior/Principal Research Associate position based at our Cambridge, MA site. The individual in this role will be responsible for the timely synthesis, purification, and characterization of project compounds, and will be expected to regularly present findings and project updates to managers and peers. He/she will be responsible for delivering work as an individual, but will also contribute to team discussions concerning project direction, prioritization of targets, and synthetic route design.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Synthesize, purify, and characterize project compounds in a timely, efficient manner
- Incorporate published methods and personal experience into synthetic planning and work
- Accurately maintain experimental records in accordance with required standards
- Routinely present experimental results and project progress to managers and peers
- Contribute to discussions of project direction, prioritization of targets, and route design
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Chemistry
- 3-5 years of pharmaceutical/biotech industry experience in the synthesis of small organic compounds across a range of chemistries
- Demonstrated ability to successfully solve complex organic synthesis issues
- Familiarity with medicinal chemistry concepts (SAR, physicochemical properties, pharmacology, etc.)
- Ability to self-manage time and efforts against competing priorities
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- The candidate will be curious in exploring a new modality for drug discovery, bold in proposing creative experimental designs and ideas, will work collaboratively with multifunctional teams, and will be relentless in pursuing successful outcomesHere's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches.
- Company-provided iPhone.
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.