The University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position, at the assistant professor level. The position has an expected start date of August 2019. The research specialty of interest is pharmaceutics, including the fields of drug delivery, pharmaceutical biotechnology, formulation science, and pharmaceutical manufacturing science.
The University of Connecticut (UConn) is in the midst of a transformational period of growth supported by the $1.7B Next Generation Connecticut (http://nextgenct.uconn.edu/) and the $1B Bioscience Connecticut (http://biosciencect.uchc.edu/) investments and a bold new Academic Plan: Path to Excellence (http://issuu.com/uconnprovost/docs/academic-plan-single-hi-optimized_1). As part of these initiatives, UConn has hired more than 450 new faculty at all ranks during the past three years. We are pleased to continue these investments by inviting applications for this faculty position in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
The UConn School of Pharmacy has embarked on an ambitious plan to be recognized among the top tier pharmacy schools in the nation. The Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences (https://pharmsci.uconn.edu/) is housed in a 200,000 square foot state-of-the-art building in the science quad of the university and has a long history of academic drug discovery and development. Departmental faculty include industry distinguished endowed chairs in pharmaceutical technology and toxicology, and two Board of Trustees Professors. Nationally, departmental faculty serve as chairs of NIH study sections, journal editors, and society presidents and have received prestigious awards for research, teaching and service. Faculty expertise encompasses medicinal chemistry, pharmacology and toxicology, and pharmaceutics. Robust connections to pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies provide significant support and synergy for departmental research projects. Pharmaceutics faculty participate in two multi-university consortia, the Kildsig Center for Pharmaceutical Processing Research (CPPR) and the National Institute for Pharmaceutical Technology and Education (NIPTE). Substantial recent State funding supports the expansion of drug discovery in a private-public enterprise. Our collaborations with the Department of Pharmacy Practice, with its established Evidence-Based Practice Center, give us additional strength in translational science.
- The successful candidate must hold a Ph.D. degree in pharmaceutics, engineering, physical chemistry, biophysics, or a related field from an accredited institution.
- The candidate is expected to continue, or show clear potential for, developing a strong, extramurally-funded research program in pharmaceutics, including the fields of drug delivery, pharmaceutical biotechnology, formulation science, and pharmaceutical manufacturing science.
- The candidate should have the expertise to teach one of the core courses in the graduate pharmaceutics program curriculum and be able to teach pharmaceutics-related courses in the PharmD curriculum.
- The position requires excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Preferred areas of research focus include drug delivery, pharmaceutical materials science, pharmaceutical manufacturing science, pharmaceutical nanotechnology, protein stabilization, and pharmaceutical freeze-drying.
- At least 2 years of post-doctoral experience in an academic, industrial, or similar position is recommended.
- Candidates with demonstrated scholarly productivity will be shown preference.
- Potential for collaboration with pharmaceutics and other faculty at UConn and potential to contribute to the CPPR and NIPTE efforts are highly desired.
- An educational background in pharmacy or previous teaching in a PharmD curriculum are preferred.
- Candidates with strong interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to work in a team environment are preferred.
- Active participation in scientific societies related to pharmaceutics is encouraged.
- Successful candidates should have a proven commitment to working within a diverse environment.
This is a full-time (9-month appointment) tenure track position as Assistant Professor within the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences. The successful candidate's primary academic appointment will be at the University of Connecticut main campus in Storrs, CT with an anticipated start date of August 2019. Salary and rank will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please visit https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/ to apply and submit the following materials:
- Cover letter;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Statement on research and scholarly plans (including area of research focus, potential collaborations, and current and/or plans for extramural funding);
- Statement on teaching (to include teaching philosophy, potential for teaching in the PharmD curriculum and how courses in the graduate program match the candidate's expertise);
- Statement of commitment to diversity (that may include any plans for outreach to under-represented groups, integrating multicultural experiences in instruction and research, and pedogogies to meet the needs of diverse learning styles, etc.);
- Representative journal articles;
- Three letters of reference.
Screening of applications will begin December 1, 2018, we will continue accepting, and reviewing applications until the position is filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The desired starting date is August 23, 2019, but is flexible and negotiable.
Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search 2019125)
This position will be filled subject to budgetary approval.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics, which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty, and staff. The diversity of students, faculty, and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural, and diverse community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities, and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/p8rvczzs2x5g424b