Research Associate I
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Research Associate I
Under general supervision of the Principal Investigator, or designee, the RAI assists the work of a laboratory or undertakes research projects in collaboration with the academic supervisor, making innovative contributions pertaining to laboratory procedures which may not change the course of an investigation. RAI typically consults with the academic supervisor on the scope and plan of approach to a research project; organizes and plans techniques; plans and assigns the work of at least one lab staff advising on problems they are unable to solve; standardizes new techniques and trains staff on these techniques; performs specialized procedures and prepares written reports of laboratory experimental methods. The individual will be a part of the Division of Health Equities within the Department of Population Sciences at the Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope.
- Utilizing laboratory equipment and established protocols, performs a variety of research experiments, with increasing independence over time. Records and validates results for accuracy and completeness.
- May modify protocols.
- Write standard operating procedures and reports.
- Maintains records of work performed including results and methodology; utilizing records may calculate, graph and compile data.
- Develops techniques and expertise in one or more areas relevant to laboratory research project.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of materials.
- Maintain and perform experiments with cells in tissue culture.
- Perform preclinical rodent work (rat/mouse handling, breeding, treatments, and analysis).
- Prepare laboratory reagents and chemicals, as well as maintain instruments and equipment.
- Keep detailed logs of lab inventory and animal colonies.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
- Communication - Expresses ideas clearly and constructively (written and spoken, upward and downward, one-on-one and with groups).
- Customer Service - Seeks to understand customer needs and works to exceed customer expectations (internal and external).
- Initiative - Looks for opportunities to improve performance; manages time, work, and relationships effectively and efficiently.
- Professionalism - Treats others with respect; abides by the institutional values; displays a positive and cooperative attitude; adheres to the workplace Code of Conduct and compliance policies.
- Stewardship - Identifies efficiencies to reduce redundancy and/or elimination of tasks resulting in savings of cost, resources, and or/time.
- Teamwork - Works proactively and collaboratively with others to streamline work and achieve mutual goals.
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences
- 0-2 years of research/laboratory experience.
- Experience with animal husbandry techniques is highly desired.
- Hands-on experience with cell/molecular biology techniques and cell culture is preferred.
- Excellent computer skills
- Personal computer
- Basic Laboratory equipment; such as
Working / Environmental Conditions
- Smoke free environment
- May be exposed to toxic chemicals
- Subject to regularly changing priorities or work assignments
Protective Equip: May be Required
- Must wear PPE as required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.