This position is an exciting opportunity to work with a Ph.D.-level computational biologist to assist in the development of data analysis pipelines for single-cell RNA sequencing (scRNA-seq) and other next-generation sequencing (NGS) data. This supports a wide variety of departments and the advancement of Moderna's mRNA therapeutics platform. scRNA-seq in particular is a groundbreaking technology that allows observation of gene expression in complex mixtures of individual cells. It is very useful for learning about the immune response, among many other applications.
Candidates strong in either Biology or Computer Science with some experience in the other are encouraged to apply. Helpful but not required is knowledge of scRNA-seq, NGS, cloud computing (especially Amazon Web Services), Docker, and code testing - we can teach you as we go. These are critical skills for success in any data science / programming job.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Assist in development and improvement of cloud-based data analysis pipelines, especially for single-cell RNA sequencing.
- Specifically, you will work with a Ph.D.-level Bioinformatics Scientist to
- create tests,
- add Docker support,
- make reports more intuitive and useful to end users,
- add processing steps,
- and benchmark open-source analysis software.
- Attend meetings with data creators and experiment designers to better understand end-user needs.
- Meet weekly (or more, if you prefer) with your mentor for guidance and collaboration.
- Present at least once to the 5-person Bioinformatics team.
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Minimum GPA of 3.4
- Currently Enrolled Junior or Senior
- Major: Biology, Biochemistry or similar; or Computer Science or similar.
- Some experience in both Biology and Computer Science preferred.
- 1+ classes or work experience using Python
- Previous co-op or intern experience preferred.
- Must be curious, eager, open to learning, and independent.
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
- Healthcare coverage includes medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
- Accrued paid vacation
Why join Moderna?
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.