Grant Writer for Biomedical Research
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Director or designee, the Grant Writer will research and identify potential funding sources for research and other programs; prepare proposals; draft/or complete correspondence, reports, case statements, letters of intent, and other related materials; and maintain funder files, database and spreadsheets.
- Responsible for all private and public grant proposals and reports, as well as cover letters, application forms, and grants acknowledgements.
- Research grant prospects regularly via varied tools such as online databases and funding source websites.
- Maintain detailed private and public funder prospect spreadsheet, including proposal and report deadlines
- Research recent local, regional and national trends and relevant data, and incorporate into grant language
- Create and package all proposal and report materials, including the necessary attachments
- Maintain all grant-related electronic and hard copy files
- Support enterprise-wide projects. Develop, lead, coordinate, and document medium size projects. May lead sub-components of a larger project.
- Process and track all incoming manuscripts for a major journal housed at UMMS, from receipt to publication. Communicate, service, trouble shoot with contributing authors, providing support during all phases from receipt of manuscript to publication
- Support Editors and provide project management to publisher: facilitate timely communication and trouble shooting Ensure appropriate, updated budgets and other financial statements are included with proposals and reports in conjunction with Business Manager
- Track all foundation and governmental funder communications via database
- In conjunction with the Director, strategize on approaches to prospective funders, ensure we are meeting deadlines, and ensure a consistent message and language
- Support the department in all fundraising efforts, including events, annual appeal, individual solicitations, etc.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Public Administration, or equivalent experience.
- 5 years in grant writing, or related experience.
- Excellent computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Excellent analytical skills, as well as written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong research skills.
- Ability to work well with others as well as be independently motivated.
- Experience in biomedical research strongly preferred