Sr/Principal Research Associate, Autoimmunity
An opportunity for a discovery biologist is available to join Moderna's early discovery and innovation incubator, New Venture Labs. New Venture Labs utilizes multidisciplinary approaches to understand protein structure, molecular signaling pathways, and dynamics of novel targets in preparation for their advancement into our drug discovery pipeline. Basic and applied research areas of interest include the immunopathology of autoimmune disorders and the MOA of tolerance induction, for example, regulatory dendritic cell (DC) and regulatory T cell biology
Here's What You'll Do:
Specific projects will involve collaborative interactions in a multidisciplinary group and across diverse biology areas that target proteins and pathways in DC and T cell biology. This is a basic research position that requires critical thinking, flexibility, multitasking, and the ability to learn new techniques.
- Administration of therapeutics, collection of fluids and tissues from mice.
- Analysis of immune cells and responses via flow cytometry (multiparameter FACS), ELISA and ELISPOTs
- Experience in tissue culture with primary mammalian cells as well as B and T cell lines is required.
- Additional experience with molecular biology such as PCR, basic cloning, and mammalian cell transfections are strongly preferred.
- Basic computer literacy and experience in collecting, analyzing, and presenting biological data using programs such as the MS Office suite is also a necessity.
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- A minimum of a BS degree (MS preferred) and 3-5 years of experience working with mouse immunology in vivo and ex vivo immunological assays such as ELISAs and ELISPOTs as well as culturing immune cells in vitro.
- Background in autoimmune and inflammatory disease models strongly desired
- Strong background in human immunology
- Broad experience with immunological, cellular, and molecular principles and techniques including primary lymphocyte isolation and culture, multi-color flow cytometry, , RNA and DNA isolation, quantitative PCR, cloning and cell transfection, immunoprecipitation and immunoblot analysis
- Experience working with mice is a must.
- Candidate will be curious in exploring new path for drug discovery, bold in proposing creative experimental designs and ideas. Will work collaboratively with multifunctional teams and will be relentless in pursuing successful outcomes.
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches.
- Company-provided iPhone.
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.