Co-Op, Discovery Chemistry
This co-op position in the Discovery Chemistry department will involve synthesis and characterization of functional polymers for mRNA delivery within a dynamic and highly interdisciplinary environment. Experience with polymer synthesis, purification techniques and analytical methods for polymer characterization is desired. The position offers an opportunity to learn about complexities of nucleic acid therapeutics and application of polymer science and biomaterial research approaches to address outstanding challenges. The successful candidate must have a background and interest in chemistry, chemical or biomaterials engineering, or related fields.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Synthesize and purify novel polymers.
- Characterize novel polymers using analytical techniques such as Size Exclusion Chromatography, NMR Spectroscopy, and calorimetry.
- Polymeric particle fabrication and characterization.
- Maintain a high-quality laboratory notebook, and communicate data to the team enabling cross-functional projects.
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Minimum GPA of 3.4
- Currently Enrolled Junior or Senior
- Relevant prior experience in polymer science, organic chemistry or materials science
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Flexible, motivated team player with demonstrated scientific creativity
- Self-motivation and commitment to excellence and innovation
- Strong critical thinking, experimental design and data interpretation skills
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
- Healthcare coverage includes medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
- Accrued paid vacation
Why join Moderna?
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.