Biological Sciences Postdoctoral Research Associate
The Mellon College of Science (MCS) is home to four departments and many programs and research centers that cross disciplines. We approach scientific problems from fresh angles using creative interdisciplinary approaches while drawing on our departmental strengths in the core sciences. MCS faculty members are nationally and internationally recognized for their research in a variety of fields, including polymer science, cosmology, mathematical finance and neuroscience.
The Department of Biological Sciences is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate. In this role, you will refine and validate a newly developed imaging approach for nanoscale, multiplex in situ imaging of proteins, nucleic acids, and other biomolecules and to apply the approach to interrogate nanoscale organization of pathogen biomoleculars and their interactions in biofilm formation and infection. The Zhao Biophotonic Engineering laboratory applies chemistry, synthetic biology, and other advanced bioengineering approaches to invent new imaging techniques that transform the way researchers interrogate cellular structure, function and diseases.
We want creative, independent and ambitious candidates who are interested in further developing and applying these novel and innovative technology. We are looking for someone excited about science and want to move the needle!
- Ph.D. in any of STEM fields.
- At least 4 years of Biology/Chemistry research lab experience especially in the field of microbiology.
- Ability to independently work on multiple projects.
- Hands on experience with chemistry.
- Hands on experience with molecular biology techniques, including but not limited to PCR, restriction enzyme digestion, cloning, cell culturing, DNA/RNA sequencing, fluorescence in situ hybridization.
- Rich experience in fluorescence microscopy.
- Must possess a high level of initiative and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent writing, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Motivation to learn new techniques and desire to read primary scientific literature.
- Expertise in immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence.
- Expertise in Microbiology and/or Microbiome research.
- Computer programming experience (Matlab preferred).
- Data analysis experience.