Senior Communications Officer
The International Science Council (ISC) is seeking a Senior Communications Officer to join its Communications team on a permanent contract and starting as soon as possible.
The ISC is a non-governmental organisation with a unique global membership that brings together 40 international scientific Unions and Associations and over 140 national and regional scientific organisations, including Academies and Research Councils.
The mission of the ISC is to act as the global voice for science. Its activities focus on three principle areas of work:
- Scientific freedom and responsibility
Reporting to the Science Director, you will take the lead in developing the ISC communications and outreach strategy, in line with the ISC vision and mission.
You will be responsible for managing the development and implementation of communication activities in support of that strategy, including membership engagement, press/media relations and all types of content: print, audio-visual and digital (website, blogs, social media, etc).
You will also manage the use and promotion of the ISC brand.
You will work alongside colleagues on a wide range of ISC projects, activities and events, as well as representing the Council in meetings and conferences. You will participate in relevant Management Working Groups and take responsibility for the management of one of ISC’s Advisory Bodies, working on issues of outreach and engagement.
This role involves working closely with the other members of the communications team at ISC (total of 3 staff) and interacting with project teams across the organisation’s Paris headquarters (23 staff in 2018) and with broader networks of ISC Members, Governance Bodies, stakeholders and partners.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a brand-new organisation that has recently been launched, following the merger of two prestigious membership bodies representing the natural and the social sciences - the International Council for Science (ICSU) and the International Social Science Council (ISSC).
ISC is seeking enthusiastic candidates who have a keen interest in issues around the intersection between policy, science and society and with the following:
Qualifications and knowledge
- Master’s degree or higher in a relevant discipline
- At least 10 years’ experience in communications and outreach, in an international environment
- Knowledge and experience of the key actors and networks comprising the international scientific landscape
- Excellent track record in media relations and in public relations
- Experience in developing communications activities in support of member engagement
- Experience and knowledge of website management and social media tools
- Experience of events communications and of developing campaigns
- Excellent knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills and ability to work in an international and multicultural context
- Capacity to work cooperatively in a project mode and to contribute across different teams
- Excellent writing and storytelling skills; able to produce communications content rapidly and efficiently
- Presentation skills
- Project management skills
- Coaching skills
The salary will be dependent on the experience and qualifications of the candidate.
Applicants should either be EU nationals or should hold a valid French work permit.
Applications (preferably in one combined PDF file) should include a CV, cover letter and the contact details of three referees and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Communications Officer” in the subject line.
The closing date for applications is 28 October 2018.
For more information on ISC, please visit www.council.science
Apply for Senior Communications Officer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly