Research Associate II
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Research Associate II - Laboratory for Cellular Medicine
A position of Research Associate II (RA II) is open at the Laboratory for Cellular Medicine (LCM), Center for Gene Therapy. The candidate will join a well-established group performing cutting-edge research and clinical trials of gene and stem cell therapy, including first-in-human studies. This is a fast-paced laboratory, which work includes translational research to validate new strategies, the development of new processes and the manufacturing of cellular products for clinical trials, as well as QC and correlative studies associated with these trials. The selected candidate will be trained in the necessary techniques and procedures, and will have the opportunity to contribute to pioneering medical research.
The candidate will follow established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. The candidate is expected to practice a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality. This position requires rigorous adherence to approved SOPs and worksheets, and accurate documentation of work performed and data. Work hours may vary, depending on the schedule of the clinical studies.
- Performs a variety of routine and non-routine laboratory research experiments. Records and validates results for accuracy and completeness.
- Troubleshoots procedures if experiment results are unexpected or unsatisfactory. Recommends alternative procedures.
- Responsible for accurately recording work performed including results and methodology. Calculates, compiles and analyzes data obtained from work performed.
- Independently evaluates research data and initiates alternative approaches to improve the quality of results by providing input to overall research design. Trains lab staff in specialized procedures, equipment and theoretical concepts behind unique tests.
- May contribute to the preparation of manuscripts by describing methods and specialized techniques. Keeps abreast of new and improved techniques.May contribute to the preparation of manuscripts by describing methods and specialized techniques. Keeps abreast of new and improved techniques.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with each procedure(s) by utilizing safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious and toxic material.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
- Communication - Expresses ideas clearly and constructively (written and spoken, upward and downward, one-on-one and with groups).
- Customer Service - Seeks to understand customer needs and works to exceed customer expectations (internal and external).
- Initiative - Looks for opportunities to improve performance; manages time, work, and relationships effectively and efficiently.
- Professionalism - Treats others with respect; abides by the institutional values; displays a positive and cooperative attitude; adheres to the workplace Code of Conduct and compliance policies.
- Stewardship - Identifies efficiencies to reduce redundancy and/or elimination of tasks resulting in savings of cost, resources, and or/time.
- Teamwork - Works proactively and collaboratively with others to streamline work and achieve mutual goals.
- Bachelor's degree. Masters degree preferred..
- Two years related research/ laboratory experience with a Bachelor's degree or
- One year related research/ laboratory experience with a Master's degree
- At least one year of experience of laboratory work, preferred.
- Professional experience in research involving Cell Biology and Molecular Biology.
- Preference will be given to candidates with some experience on cGMP and/or QC work, preparation of SOPs.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience on: tissue culture techniques; processing and analyses of human cells; cell staining and flow cytometry; and, RNA preparation and qPCR.
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to delegate when needed
- Laboratory equipment such as
Working / Environmental Conditions
- Smoke free environment
- May be exposed to toxic chemicals
Protective Equip: Required
- Must use PPE as required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with other departments.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.