We are looking for an experienced immunologist to contribute to our rapidly expanding platform assessing host immune responses to intestinal microbes. This position will involve using new and existing assays to identify bacterial effects on the host, leveraging our extensive and diverse culture collection of commensal microorganisms. The Scientist will design and perform in vivo experiments in gnotobiotic and conventional mice, as well as in vitro assays to identify mechanistic interactions with host cells. This will involve creative problem solving and use of cutting edge technology to answer critical scientific questions. Experiments will provide key value for multiple pre-clinical and clinical pipelines in autoimmunity, inflammatory bowel disease, food allergy, cancer immunotherapy, and infectious disease. We are looking for a creative and independent-minded individual who is excited to work closely with a dedicated research staff to execute experiments. The position will report to the Associate Director of Immunology, who will mentor closely and collaboratively but provide large freedom in day-to-day experimental activities.
Here’s What You’ll Do:
Contribute immediately to our existing pipeline screening bacterial consortia for immune effects in gnotobiotic mice (using gnotobiotic core- no husbandry required!)
Design and perform experiments to measure immune responses specific to program-relevant disease models
Collaborate with the microbiology team to develop new in vitro assays for high throughput screening of the culture collection
Contribute to Vedanta’s integrated Immunology, Microbiology, and Bioinformatics pipeline to identify novel commensal therapeutics
Mentor junior research staff to facilitate scientific learning and independence
- Ph.D. in Immunology or a related field
- Research focus on mucosal immunology and the role of the microbiome.
- Research experience in autoimmunity and/or gastrointestinal inflammatory diseases, including expertise designing experiments using animal models of gut-associated autoimmunity and inflammation.
- Experience in isolation and functional analysis of primary immune cells.
- Extensive research experience in basic immunological techniques (flow cytometry, ELISA, cell culture) as well as molecular biology methods (RNA and DNA isolation and analysis, PCR, qPCR).
- Highly motivated and organized individual with excellent communication skills.
- Strong publication record.
- Enthusiastic team player, able to work well in a group setting as well as independently in a fast- paced environment.
Why join Vedanta Biosciences
Vedanta is pioneering the development of a new class of therapies that act by modulating the human microbiome. Modulation of the human microbiota holds enormous promise to treat a broad range of immune and infectious diseases in ways that are completely different to existing drug classes. Breakthrough discoveries of our scientific team in the field of mucosal immunology have led to the first rationally designed drug candidates in the microbiome field. Vedanta was founded by PureTech Health and a team of world renowned experts in immunology and microbiology.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how our discovery platform enables identification of bacterial consortia with drug-like properties and their manufacture to GMP standards.
We are harnessing the human microbiome to enable a new drug modality based on rationally defined bacterial consortia Vedanta is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vedanta will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.