Sr./Research Associate, In Vitro Biology
An opportunity for a highly skilled and motivated cellular/molecular biologist is available to join Moderna, based at their Cambridge, MA site. The individual will join the In Vitro Biology department to assist in mammalian cell model development to support advancement of Moderna's mRNA technology platform and pipeline. Applicants will utilize a wide range of molecular and cell biology techniques to investigate cellular uptake and distribution of mRNA and proteins in in vitro models using quantitative microscopy. Applicants should be able to function in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment and should be great team members.
Here's What You'll Do:
Specific projects will involve collaborative interactions in a multidisciplinary group and across diverse biology areas that require cell model development to characterize uptake of Moderna's drug products. This is a basic research position that requires critical thinking, flexibility, multitasking, and especially the ability to learn new techniques.
- Perform biological assays in relevant cell models.
- Experience with molecular biology such as basic cloning, PCR, and mammalian cell transfections are strongly preferred.
- Performance of microscopy based investigations to evaluate novel delivery vectors.
- Execute and troubleshoot immunofluorescence protocols, independently adapt new protocols into practice.
- General laboratory assistance including ordering and receiving of lab supplies, preparation of reagents, and lab equipment maintenance.
- Analyze, interpret and present data to internal parties.
- Accountable for project success and results delivery.
- Closely collaborate with other members within the In Vitro Biology department and broadly with departments throughout the company.
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- BS/MS with 0-5 years of industry experience (Biomedical Engineering, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, or related science), developing and performing cellular and biochemical assays.
- Proficiency in a broad range of biochemical, molecular and cellular techniques including: CRISPR Cas9 Screen/gene editing; ELISA; Western blotting; immunoprecipitation; gene silencing or mutagenesis (siRNA), gene expression analysis at the RNA levels (qPCR); analysis of cellular differentiation, proliferation, survival, death and adhesion using standard assay formats.
- Demonstrated application of mammalian cell culture and associated techniques.
- Experience in quantitative fluorescence imaging, proficiency with multi-channel and Z stacks confocal microscopy.
- Candidate will be curious in exploring new path for drug discovery, bold in proposing creative experimental designs and ideas. Will work collaboratively with multifunctional teams and will be relentless in pursuing successful outcomes.
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches.
- Company-provided iPhone.
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.