Engineer I/II, Process Development
Are you a motivated and curious chemical engineer or scientist who likes to innovate? Would you like to contribute to bringing a new class of biotherapeutics to the market? Then come and join Moderna's growing Process Development team for a full-time role based in Cambridge, MA. You will work on improving the synthesis and purification of mRNA Drug Substance using high-throughput methods. You will collaborate with analytical, biochemistry, and manufacturing teams to develop robust clinical and commercial processes.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Design and execute high-throughput synthesis and purification experiments using TECAN robotic liquid handlers
- Perform statistical analyses of data and build predictive models for reactions and separations
- Using AKTA FPLC systems, develop and characterize chromatographic purification steps
- Perform routine analytical characterization of process intermediates using HPLC/UPLC, SDS-PAGE and agarose gels, UV-Vis spectroscopy
- Optimize unit operations to improve robustness, scalability, cycle time, throughput, and cost
- Write technical reports and facilitate technology transfer to Pilot and GMP manufacturing teams
- Produce and deliver critical raw materials to project teams in a timely manner
- Maintain thorough electronic lab notebooks and documentation records
- Present results in cross-functional meetings
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- BS in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry or closely related field, and 1-3 years relevant industry experience.
- Expertise in programming and operating high-throughput liquid-handling automation
- Working knowledge of bioprocess engineering principles, process modeling, and Design of Experiment (DoE) statistical tools.
- Hands-on experience with AKTA FPLC, Tangential Flow Filtration (TFF), and HPLC/UPLC instrumentation
- Familiarity with nucleic acid and protein chemistry, enzyme kinetics, and analytical characterization of biomolecules
- Ability to plan and execute experiments independently
- Excellent communication, presentation, and writing skills
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches.
- Company-provided iPhone.
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.