Associate Professor, Maritime Safety and Environmental Administration
Organizational Unit: Faculty, Maritime Safety and Environmental Administration Specialization
Duty Station: Malmö, Sweden
Duration of contract: Two-year fixed-term appointment
1. Organizational setting
The World Maritime University (WMU) is a postgraduate and research university established in 1983 by the International Maritime Organization, the maritime agency of the United Nations. WMU offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Professional Development Courses (PDCs) with the highest standards in maritime and oceans education and training. WMU also has a highly respected research programme supported by specialized research groups across the maritime and ocean fields.
The Associate Professor position is located in the Faculty unit at WMU’s headquarters in Malmö, Sweden.
2. Main purpose
The position works under the supervision of the Vice President Academic, and functionally with the Head of the MSc. Specialization – Maritime Safety and Environmental Administration (MSEA). As a faculty member at the World Maritime University, the Associate Professor is expected to provide teaching/mentoring, undertake research, publish and promote inter- university cooperation on maritime related matters.
The Associate Professor (MSEA), will focus on areas related to IMO legal instruments on maritime safety and the reduction of marine pollution by ships. The candidate for this position must be knowledgeable on and supportive of the UN Sustainable Development Goals and their relationship to IMO and to the university’s mandate and goals.
Work involves teaching regularly both introductory and specialization courses, mentoring PhD and M.Sc. students, serving on committees and panels, and delivering distance learning programmes as well as technical assistance, as required, to WMU, IMO, and the maritime and oceans community.
As a member of the faculty and professional staff at WMU, he/she will work to keep WMU positioned as an academic institution of excellence and help advance the institution, encourage inter-university research cooperation, and build its reputation in the field of expertise relating to this job description.
3. Working relationships
Internal contacts – Incumbent liaises and interacts with all faculty members on a regular basis as well as with support staff as required.
External contacts – Incumbent liaises with the global maritime, ocean and industry communities, research organizations, intergovernmental organizations, non-governmental organizations, as well as with scientific journals and publishing entities.
4. Duties, responsibilities
The Associate Professor is expected, under the functional supervision of the Head of the MSEA specialization to be engaged in:
- teaching, curriculum development, course design, including engagement in the MSc teaching programmes in Malmö, and other locations as needed and assigned;
- taking the lead in the utilization and further development of the Maritime Simulation Laboratory;
- coordinating and participating in student field studies;
- mentoring of PhD and MSc students and supervision of research theses/dissertations in the maritime safety and technical issues involved in ship-related marine environmental protection measures;
- maritime research projects and scholarship leading to the publication of peer-reviewed articles, review articles, and scholarly books, and assisting in the development and execution of research projects and presentation of scholarly results;
- the development of projects, submission of project proposals, and delivery of such projects;
- the presentation of research findings at professional conferences and meetings;
- distance learning (e-learning) programmes, PDCs, and capacity-building courses;
- interactions with IMO and other UN agencies, as well as IMO member State administrations;
- WMU committees and work groups, and active participation in administrative, academic, and curriculum duties.
5. Minimum requirements – education, experience and language skills
- A PhD in maritime affairs or related field.
- Experience in maritime navigation, marine engineering, maritime safety, or marine environmental protection.
- Experience in higher education and training in the maritime sector would be an advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in teaching at the postgraduate level, preferably within the areas of maritime safety and/or technical issues involved in ship related marine environmental protection measures, or a related field;
- Expertise in the use and set-up of maritime simulators (i.e. full mission bridge simulators etc.);
- Working experience with class societies, shipyards and maritime administrations;
- Extensive experience in working with UN agencies and regional bodies, such as, the European Commission;
- A track record in maritime research and scholarly publication in maritime safety or environmental management field;
- Experience in leading research project management in relation to maritime safety and environmental administration knowledge transfer and in capacity building programmes for developing countries.
- Professional experience in the maritime sector preferably at a management level.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Knowledge of another UN language would be an advantage.
6. Knowledge and skills
Knowledge and skills
- Excellent management skills in optimizing teamwork specific to the Specialization (MSEA) and in support of wider University activities and goals;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a professional/academic team;
- Effective organizational skills to manage time and priorities in teaching and administrative duties as appropriate;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non- discriminatory behaviour and attitudes;
- Ability to deal with administrative matters and work together in a team.
This vacancy is open to male and female candidates. WMU seeks to increase the number of women at all levels and, therefore, qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply. WMU will make every effort to facilitate the employment of persons with disabilities.
Deadline for Applications: 31 October 2018.
For more information on how to apply, please click the Apply button.