With an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada's top research-intensive universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada's most beautiful campuses.
The Robarts Research Institute within the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry at Western University has made its mission to accelerate medical discovery. Through a powerful integration of basic and clinical research, we are driving major advances that impact on many of today's most devastating diseases.
The Research Technician will work under the direction of a principal investigator, and in collaboration with staff and students, to prepare and conduct experimental techniques following set protocols and procedures, ensuring that sufficient support is provided in the laboratory facility. The incumbent will contribute to providing training and oversight to students, assist with laboratory maintenance and organization, ensuring that all laboratory equipment and supplies are stocked, ordered and available, and stock solutions are prepared as required. The Research Technician will also be required to complete and update health and safety documentation and attend inspections for the laboratory, ensuring that all permits are up to date for the work required in the laboratory. The incumbent will operate and support the troubleshooting and servicing of equipment and instrumentation related to the research.
- 4-year Bachelors of Science degree in a related Health Sciences or Biological Sciences field
- Masters of Science preferred
- 2 years’ experience with molecular biology, tissue culture techniques and with SPR in a basic sciences research laboratory in life sciences
- Experience with ordering and procurement in a laboratory environment
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite including spreadsheet design, work processing and database management
- Familiarity with software applications used by Western preferred – e.g. Mustang Market
- Ability and willingness to stay abreast of technological developments
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet tight deadlines and adapt to growth and change
- Ability to anticipate use of materials in a busy productive lab with a large number of people and order materials before stocks are depleted
- Ability to write clear, concise procedural documentation and keep up to date inventories/records with meticulous attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, take initiative, follow through on work assignments and achieve results
- Proven ability and natural inclination to interact with people in a professional, respectful and diplomatic manner
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and set appropriate priorities in a fast-paced setting
- Ability to work well under pressure and use good judgment in assessing difficult situations
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to understand and apply policies, procedures, instructions and perform tasks accordingly
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca to apply online to job reference 14608 by midnight on October 28th, 2018.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.