Managing Director – Spanish State Research Agency
The Spanish State Research Agency is the public organisation that is responsible for promoting excellence in research and ensuring maximum impact by national research and development efforts. The State Research Agency’s mission is to contribute to the following:
- The promotion of scientific and technical research in all areas of knowledge through the competitive allocation of public resources.
- The monitoring of financed actions and the impact thereof.
- Consulting about the planning of actions or initiatives in which national R&D policies are an instrument.
We are looking for an outstanding professional who can lead the Agency and contribute to the effective achievement of its mission. The successful candidate will have a proven professional career at the highest level as a scientist and manager of international R&D responsibilities.
- Working with the Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities of Spain, therefore defining and implementing the Agency´s strategy and yearly action plans in close connection with the National Plans for Scientific and Technological Research and Innovation.
- Designing the Agency’s yearly budgets; overseeing execution and assessing the impact.
- Leading and coaching a team of scientists, technology experts and financial analysts and identifying possible training or recruitment needs.
- Representing the State Research Agency in national and international R&D funding forums.
- Acting as the Spanish liaison with European R&D funding programmes and organisations (Horizon 2020, European Research Council; Marie-Curie; Future Emerging Technologies, etc.).
- Collaborating with public and private research centres to not only foster excellence in research but also promote research and development that has a positive impact in society.
- Advising the Spanish Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities on the definition of R&D policies and science and technology strategies.
- Proactively analysing contextual and technical data to infer recommendations and strategic actions in order to improve the Agency’s ability to fulfil its mission.
- Over 10 years of international research experience.
- Over 6 years of experience managing research and development plans and teams, ideally multidisciplinary teams including researchers, technicians, financial analysts and product/market developers.
- Budgeting and impact-monitoring experience.
- In-depth understanding of the national and international research, development and innovation landscapes (organisations, programmes, priorities, success cases).
- Proficiency in both Spanish and English (oral and written).
- Prior experience managing a research and development organisation (public research funding organisation, innovation agency, public R&D organisation, university research centre).
- Experience working with the private sector, while leveraging basic and applied research through new market and product developments.
Candidates must submit their applications at the following e-mail address before October 26th: email@example.com
Applications must include:
- Researcher CV - summarised with standardised metrics
- Manager CV, including
- Experience in research and development management
- Professional experience outside of R&D