Associate Director, Gastroenterology Computational Biology
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as an Associate Director, Computational Biology, Gastroenterology, in our Cambridge office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As an Associate Director, Gastroenterology Computational Biology, working on the Computational Biology team, you will be empowered to set strategic direction, develop tactical plans, motivate, develop and lead teams to execute projects effectively
- The Associate Director, Gastroenterology Computational Biology will be part of a team focused on computational biology support of discovery research and translational science. S/he will lead a group of three (3) experts in computational biology and bioinformatics to support Takeda’s discovery and development projects in gastroenterology area, focusing on generating insights from big data for reverse and forward translation in gastroenterology and microbiome. The Associate Director will apply expertise in computational biology and genomics to analyze molecular profiling and phenotype data for the identification and characterization of genes, networks and pathways involved in normal and perturbed physiology. This information will be used to understand the molecular basis of disease pathology and the mechanism of action of drugs, and ultimately be used for selection and progression of drug targets and assets.
- Sets strategic direction, develop tactical plans, motivates, develops and leads team to execute projects effectively
- Performs computational analysis of RNA-seq, other OMICS and real-world data from internal, collaboration and public sources. Applies unsupervised and supervised machine learning and other advanced algorithms to extract novel biologically meaningful information and to support or falsify target hypotheses and support patient and indication selection and biomarker development.
- Integrates genomics, genetics, epigenetics, proteomics and literature data to strengthen understanding of diseases and treatment perturbations.
- Interact with the external scientific community to bring cutting-edge computational methods to bear on drug development.
- Provides analysis and interpretation of data, specifically for the selection of new drug targets and indications
- Writes study reports and presents data effectively in all settings and with participants of all levels of the organization.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- PhD or equivalent in computational biology, bioinformatics or similar area with Post Doc and at least 8 years of working experience after post-doc
- Excellent communication, interpersonal sensitivity, and negotiating skills. Being able to effectively collaborate with key stake holders to serve projects’ needs.
- Has a solid background in basic cellular and molecular biology with an understanding of a range of disease areas in gastroenterology such as liver fibrosis, IBD and motility disorders, microbiome dysbiosis and immunology. Exposure to a wide variety of therapeutic areas such as neuroscience, gastroenterology and oncology is a plus.
- Fluent in the use of R (Bioconductor), Python, and/or other languages commonly used for computational biology analysis. Must be expert in applying major bioinformatics tools such as OmicsSoft, IPA, etc.
- Must be expert in utilizing of various types of human genetic datasets (e.g. GWAS, CNVs, Rare variants, etc.) and has hands on experience in using public human genetics and epigenetics databases.
- Must be expert in sequencing data analysis such as RNAseq, DNAseq, scRNA-seq, etc.
- Must be an expert in microbiome informatics and analysis of 16S, metagenomics, metatranscriptomics, meta-metabolomics and metaproteomics data
- Is able to develop creative methods for integration of human genetic, epigenetic, gene and protein expression data
- Must be expert and able to apply advanced machine learning methods such as Hidden Markov Chain, Support Vector Machines, neural nets and deep learning algorithms.
- Must be able to apply methods of unsupervised machine learning algorithms such as WGCNA, K-means, Hierarchical, DBSCAN, and/or Spectral clustering
- Must be able to apply methods of dimensionality reduction algorithms such as Non-negative Matrix Factorization (NMF), Principal Component Analysis (PCA), Independent Component Analysis (ICA), Manifold Learning and similar techniques.
- Must be familiar with network modeling algorithms Familiarity with text mining algorithms is a plus
- Driving results is essential. Need to be able to motivate individuals in a cross-functional, matrixed organization and project team setting, to achieve and exceed goals by establishing accountabilities, clarifying performance expectations, agreeing to high standards and measures, monitoring and reviewing performance, and providing timely and relevant feedback.
- Demonstrated strategic thinker with an ability to create and drive a shared understanding of a long-term vision.
- Planning, priority setting, and time management are essential.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for his or her own performance and accepts full ownership of issues, problems, and opportunities, regardless of the source.
- Comfort with initiating analyses without always having a clear direction planned in advance.
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation, including ability for divergent thinking and the propensity to question to traditional methods, processes, and products, as well as build on others' ideas.
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects up to 25 lbs.
- Able to work in a lab environment
- Up to 20% travel, both domestic and internationally may be required.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx