Senior Director, Vaccine Research and Development
Senior Director, Vaccine Research and Development
The Bacterial Vaccine and Technology Group as Pfizer, which reports into the Bacterial Vaccines Chief Scientific Officer is responsible for leading the discovery and scientific leadership for the bacterial vaccines within the Pfizer vaccine Research and Development Unit (VRDU). The department is comprised of a number of functional groups including include molecular biology, antibody technology, in vivo biology, bioinformatics, molecular assays and surveillance. These groups work to support all stages of Vaccine Research and Development. We are looking for a motivated individual to lead one or more of these groups. The incumbent will be responsible to align these groups’ activities to the VRDU goals, build talent and ensure that they have the resources that they need to operate as world class research and development organizations.
The incumbent will also be responsible for providing scientific leadership for early vaccine research and development programs with an emphasis on clinical pre-proof of concept vaccines. The incumbent will manage research science leads to who are responsible for the design and validation of bacterial vaccines. This will include preclinical research, assay development, bioprocess development and biomarker identification/validation. In this role the incumbent will need to provide leadership to develop the stringent go/no go criteria that will be applied to the early vaccine research programs. This will be done by working across the VRD unit and the vaccine business unit. It will also involve working with opinion leaders to gain external validation for the bacterial vaccine strategy. The incumbent will also be involved in evaluating external opportunities and forging collaborations with external leaders in the fields of anti-infective and vaccine research.
Bacterial vaccine research falls within the anti-infective discipline and as such has close connections to antimicrobial drug discovery and development research. The incumbent will be responsible for providing technical expertise to the overall Pfizer anti-infective small molecule and antimicrobial resistance strategies
The role requires strong background in infectious disease research and vaccine development. The candidate needs to provide leadership, scientific and technical support for a diversified research staff. The role also requires experience and established track record in working with multifunctional teams outside of their reporting structure, presenting research and strategy as well as report writing, responding to regulatory questions, and publishing research findings.
ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES .
- Leads research functions within VRD
- Develops and Executes strategy within VRD associated with designing and developing vaccines
- Develops team members
- Partners with lines to prioritize and resolve resourcing issues in constrained areas
- Creates, leads and delivers continuous improvement of the Research process and improves productivity within each phase
- Creates and leads a motivated, committed and engaged project team. Models and expects effective team behavior to achieve the project goals
- Provides research expertise to inform Pfizer’s anti-infective strategy
- Ensuing that intellectual property is appropriately obtained and safeguarded
- Accountable to area CSOs
- Doctoral level degree / MD PHD or equivalent with at least 15 years industry experience or Senior Academic post
- Proven track record of project advancement and delivery
- Experience in vaccines, anti-infective small molecule and biologic therapeutic modalities
- Strong working knowledge of medical practice, diseases and biology relevant to bacterial pathogenesis
- Experience of providing scientific leadership for projects in the pharmaceutical industry
- Direct managerial experience
- Record of delivery of discipline-relevant data in support of novel targets and programs that have advanced towards the clinic
- Demonstrated innovation and the ability to apply knowledge, techniques and skills to identify and validate new targets
- Acknowledged internally and externally as a scientific leader in Bacterial pathogenesis/Vaccine/Biologics
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
Other Job Details:
- Last Date to Apply for Job: November 1, 2018
- Eligible for Relocation Package: yes
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus: yes