Senior Scientist, Natural Product Chemist
We are seeking a Senior Scientist for our Cambridge site with primary expertise in structure determination of complex natural products, complemented by a working knowledge of natural product isolation and purification technologies and practices. This individual should have a demonstrable track record of having isolated complex natural products, having elucidated their structures via state-of-the-art measurements; analysis of mass spectroscopic (MS) fragmentation patterns and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) data. Substantial hands-on experience with high-resolution MS instruments and liquid chromatography (LC) systems are a must. The successful candidate will be highly motivated and creative, thrive in a nimble, fast-paced, and performance-oriented environment.
- Lead the acquisition and interpretation of MS data, particularly fragmentation patterns, to identify and characterize complex natural products expressed by fungi.
- Use 1D and 2D NMR experiments for structural elucidation and characterization of metabolites.
- LC-MS/MS method development and quantitation of secondary metabolites from fungal extracts.
- Develop and perform extractions, isolation and purification of natural products from fermentation cultures.
- Evaluate new technologies for metabolite profiling and characterization.
- Maintain chromatography and mass spectrometry instrumentation and associated analytical software.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with fellow colleagues within and across functional areas.
- Deliver high-quality bioanalytic results, interpretation and reports to Discovery and Development project teams
- PhD in Analytical or Natural Product Chemistry with 5 plus years of experience in an industrial setting.
- Experience with chromatography and MS method development, strong familiarity and aptitude with LC and MS instrumentation including automation, and experience in mass spectrometry data analysis and software including automated and manual interpretation of MS/MS fragmentation data.
- An ability to rapidly distinguish known from novel natural products, and assignment of chemotype and substituents, based on MS spectra.
- A working knowledge of natural product biosynthetic pathways.
- Expertise in the use of 1D and 2D NMR experiments for structural elucidation and characterization of metabolites
- Expertise in the use of LC-MS and LC-MS/MS systems to perform metabolite identification and analysis.
- Knowledge of multiple types of analytical and chromatographic separation techniques, i.e. RP-HPLC, HILIC, SAEX, SEC and SPE.
- Strong computer skills and experience with software driven metabolite profiling is required (Agilent MassHunter, Waters MassLynx and Thermo Scientific Compound Discover).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills working in a collaborative multi-disciplinary team environment.
- A sense of adventure and excitement to build a new drug discovery paradigm.
- A strong orientation toward, and commitment to, cross-functional collaborations across multiple diverse programs to deliver key results aimed at advancing drug discovery.