Research Associate I | Sun Lab
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 4000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy. Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Research Associate I - Cancer Biology - Sun Lab
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities
A Research Associate I position is available at City of Hope, one of a prestigious group of NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers. Under the supervision of the Principal Investigator, the Research Associate I (RAI) will join a highly competitive research lab to investigate molecular mechanisms underlying transcriptional control and cell signaling during the course of cancer initiation and progression using cutting-edge and unbiased in vitro biological approaches and unique and innovative genetically-engineered mouse models.
RAI may have previous research experience and be ableto perform or learn a series of cellular and molecular biological procedures, and have previous experience working with GEMMs (genetically engineered mouse models). In addition, s/he should be able to plan experimental approaches to a research project inconsultation with the academic supervisor; making necessary technical trouble-shooting, reads scientific abstracts and articles; contribute original ideas to the laboratory research; standardize new techniques and train staff on these techniques; prepare written reports of laboratory experimental methods.
- Performs a variety of routine and complicated laboratory research experiments. Records and validates results for accuracy and completeness.
- Troubleshoots procedures if experiment results are unexpected or unsatisfactory. Recommends alternative procedures.
- Be able to work under stressful to meet deadlines.
- Responsible for accurately recording work performed including results and methodology. Calculates, compiles and analyzes data obtained from work performed.
- Independently evaluates research data and initiates alternative approaches to improve the quality of results by providing input to overall research design. Trains lab staff in specialized procedures, equipment and theoretical concepts behind unique tests.
- May contribute to the preparation of manuscripts by describing methods and specialized techniques. Keeps abreast of new and improved techniques.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with each procedure(s) by utilizing safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious and toxic material.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor's degree, required.
- Someresearch/ laboratory experience, preferred.
- Interest in or previous experience working with GEMMs (genetically engineered mouse models), a plus.
- Molecular biology experience/training, preferred.
City of Hope is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.