Senior Scientific Support Programmer/Analyst
The Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research (MPIPZ) in Cologne is looking for a
Senior Scientific Programmer / Analyst
This is an independent, self-organized position in a vibrant international environment where fascinating, ground-breaking research is being conducted. You will have the opportunity to actively shape your role and tasks while working closely with leading scientists for whom you will provide research support, develop and maintain software systems that enable scientific tasks and operation of computer-based processes at the Institute.
Technical expertise, social competence, excellent communication skills and the willingness to constantly learn and dive into new topics are essential requirements to succeed in this position. Prior experience of working with biologists is desirable but not essential.
- Database programming
- Web application development
- Mobile client programming
- Server-side programming
- Analyze scientific processes and work flows and help automate them
- Support of scientific applications
- Training of scientific users
- Reporting and presenting to Directors
- Strong experience with advanced programming languages (Python, Java, C++ or similar)
- Experience with SQL (MySQL or PostrgreSQL beneficial)
- Experience with Linux Servers (Debian beneficial)
- Experience with source code repository systems (Git beneficial)
- Fluency in spoken and written English, German beneficial
- Ability to communicate with scientists and to translate the communication into software specifications
We offer an attractive setting in a brand new and friendly work environment, an ambitious team, excellent infrastructure, as well as interesting and varied tasks. Initially, the contract is limited to two years with excellent possibilities for renewal. Your salary will be based on your qualification and experience and follow recommendations of TVÖD. Social benefits correspond with those of the public service.
The Max Planck Society is an equal opportunity employer. Handicapped individuals are particularly welcome to apply. Further, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the percentage of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore we explicitly encourage women to apply.
We are looking forward to receiving your full and comprehensive application by 05.10.2018. Please upload your application here: https://lotus2.gwdg.de/mpg/mkzf/sspa_2018.nsf/Bewerbungen
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted and the search will continue until a suitable candidate is found.
For questions please contact Ute von Ciriacy-Wantrup at (email@example.com).