Research Specialist IV - Clinical Genomic Core
The Research Specialist IV – Clinical Genomic Core performs complex scientific laboratory technical work, evaluating, selecting and applying laboratory procedures and techniques to specialized assignments that may not always have clear and specific objectives. Assignments require investigation of a wide number of variables and highly complex features in order to identify issues and apply solutions. The role requires the ability to work independently, to exercise judgment and to utilize previous experience and precedent in making technical decisions related to delegated tasks. The Research Specialist IVis an independent, self-motivated individual who with minimal supervision successfully accomplishes the delegated tasks.
KEY ROLE ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Contributes to the delivery of departmental goals, through personal effort in own work area
- Makes improvements in processes that impact the Laboratory operations and may positively affect the results of the scientific program.
- Working independently, performs specialized lab procedures and associated responsibilities that required extensive previous experience.
- Solves highly complex problems and performs a wide variety of technical assignments within broader projects.
- Reviews and modifies practices and techniques in non-routine situations to perform duties, adjusts and correlates data, recognizes discrepancies in results.
- Contributes in research trials in the laboratory that include taking measurements and recording observations, collecting, compiling and processing data.
- Participates in procurement of additional/new funding through contributions to technical proposal preparation and/or presentations.
- Oversees the work of technical staff to ensure that correct procedures are followed.
- Provides direction in complex assignments or unprecedented issues to assure completion of technical tasks and projects and to anticipate future issues.
- Establishes lab SOPs and performs quality control checks.
- Makes recommendations regarding the planning of short- and long-term goals of the lab to the Director - Clinical Genomics Core and performs the research to reach established goals.
- Stays current with literature in ongoing and proposed research projects.
- Assesses lab inventory and orders supplies when needed.
- Monitors laboratory expenses and assists Director - Clinical Genomics Core in budgeting.
- Provides training and expertise to new laboratory members, research fellows and graduate students.
- May write manuscripts and present novel research and techniques to research group.
- Adheres to Sidra’s standards as they appear in the Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest policies
- Adheres to and promotes Sidra’s Values
In view of the evolving needs and opportunities within Sidra, this position may be required to perform other duties as assigned and reporting relationships may vary.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS – SELECTION CRITERIA
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in a Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry or related disciplines
- 7+ years of experience in a research laboratory environment inclusive of:
- Practical experience in manual NGS library preparation protocols for Illumina sequencers
- General experience in operating liquid handling robots
- Basic experience in nucleic acid extraction protocols
Job Specific Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent knowledge of manual NGS library preparation protocols for Illumina sequencers
- Basic understanding of NGS data analysis using Linux command line, Python or R
- Evidence of continuous professional and personal development
- Demonstrated strong analytical, problem solving and decision making skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Education: MSc or equivalent degree
- 5+ years in a relevant service facility or commercial laboratory
- Hands-on experience with Hamilton Robotics liquid handlers
- Previous experience of working in a service-focused environment, commercial or clinical laboratory
- Experience with single-cell sequencing methods
- Experience in scripting using Perl, Python and/or bash
- Experience in using Python and R for advanced data analysis
Job Specific Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to program Hamilton Robots using VENUS
Apply for Research Specialist IV - Clinical Genomic Core
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly