Qatar Biomedical Research Institute (QBRI), part of Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), is a national center of excellence in biomedical research. It aims to transform healthcare through harnessing and converting the latest advances in science, medicine and technology into novel discoveries that will lead to more effective treatments and preventive strategies for human diseases such as: diabetes, cancer, and neurological disorders. The institute strives toward the development of novel diagnostic and therapeutic strategies to facilitate early diagnosis, treatment and management of these devastating diseases with the purpose of improving personalized medicine and healthcare. QBRI has recently occupied state-of-the-art life sciences laboratories in a newly established research campus.
Full-time Bioinformatics Specialists
QBRI is seeking highly motivated applicants for the full-time positions. The selected candidates are expected to provide bioinformatics support to research programs at QBRI. They will be also required to collaborate with other groups within the institute.
These positions offer outstanding scientific resources and generous funding opportunities amid existing expertise in genomics and classical genetics, access to state-of-the-art core laboratories and to a homogeneous and genetically unique population. In addition, there will be the opportunity to take a joint academic appointment at the College of Science and Engineering or College of Health and Life Sciences at HBKU. The positions offer ample opportunities for interaction and collaboration with national, regional and international universities, research institutes, clinical entities and organizations.
- Provide bioinformatics support for data analysis, interpretation and presentation.
- Work closely with bioinformaticians and other scientists at QBRI to contribute to various research projects.
- Assess requirements and develop software tools to facilitate data analysis and management.
- Present ideas and results, including issues and possible solutions
- Contribution to capacity building at the level of the institute
- Contribution to mentoring MSc and PhD students
- PhD in Bioinformatics or Computational Biology or a related discipline
- Experience in data analysis for next-generation sequencing (NGS) experiments (e.g. whole genome, RNA-seq, DNA methylation, and ChIP-seq)
- Experience in the use of R/Bioconductor and databases such as MySQL
- Experience in the use of a scripting language (ideally Python)
- Working knowledge of GNU/Linux operating systems and high performance computing
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to work independently and in a collegial environment
- In-depth knowledge of biology and biostatistics is highly desirable
How to apply
Please submit your complete application (a copy of curriculum vitae, research statement, teaching philosophy statement, publications list, and reprints of the five most relevant publications, as well as the names and contacts of a minimum of three referees) through the HBKU website. ( https://hbku.wufoo.com/forms/w19msafp0nl4byb/)
Completed applications will be reviewed and interviews will be arranged with selected candidates on a rolling basis until the positions are filled.
Hamad Bin Khalifa University is an equal opportunity educator and employer. We are committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.